Wood Floor Question

I have a wood floor to install, The client chose a pre-finished 3/4 oak. Now I understand acclimation and such. On one hand a friend of mine who is into wood floors for years, and had a business making wood flooring say's you do not have to acclimate pre-finished wood flooring. When I read a manual on installing wood floors it says to "acclimate" it. Who or what is the best practice? john
All manufacturers will tell you to acclimate it and it is probably the best practice. If you don't have the extra 3 days it takes get a moisture meter and check the hardwood as well as the subfloor. If it falls within specs...go for it.

On 12/12/2012 11:10 AM, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Another factor that may be important is how the yard stored the flooring prior to delivery. If inside, a (partially?) warmed warehouse may not need as much acclimation. Last pre-finished floor I did let it sit for three days. One 'trick' is to arrange delivery for Friday, prep the area where you will store it first, and use Friday (and part of Monday if necessary) for prep work. Then install Monday/Tuesday.
--
I'm never going to grow up.

Hello Peter, That sounds like a good idea. Just was that, I had a window of opportunity, to install. So, will most likely wait, and let the client remove the rugs, take out the tack strips, and also, this being a new purchased home, some of the area are suspect to doggy p...... and the owner wants to bleach and or treat any suspect area with pet remover, and then a primer of Kilz or Zinnser oil base primer..... john
"PeterD" wrote in message

Another factor that may be important is how the yard stored the flooring prior to delivery. If inside, a (partially?) warmed warehouse may not need as much acclimation. Last pre-finished floor I did let it sit for three days. One 'trick' is to arrange delivery for Friday, prep the area where you will store it first, and use Friday (and part of Monday if necessary) for prep work. Then install Monday/Tuesday.
--
I'm never going to grow up.

John,

We installed 3/4" prefinished Australian Cypress. I opened the boxes so they could get airflow (remove any wrapping if necessary) and let ours acclimate about a week before we installed them. We haven't had any problems in 8+ years.
When we installed wood flooring at my in-laws, we picked up the flooring one weekend, then installed it the next. Again, about a week to acclimate.
Of course, you may not have the luxury of a week to wait. We were working on other projects so it was no problem to let the boxes sit opened several days. I would wait as long as you are able.
As an example of what not to do, we ran out of our 1x6 T&G cedar boards before we could finish our ceilings. I picked up another load of boards, but in our rush I forgot to let it acclimate before installing. We did end up with some warping in the last few rows of the ceiling. Thankfully it's 14' up in a back corner so you can't really see it unless you're looking for it.
Anthony Watson Mountain Software www.mountain-software.com/about.htm
John , as others have stated previously. Let the flooring acclimate to it's new environment before installation. I've had flooring contractors in schools, doing gym and stage floors that were almost fanatical about acclimation and moisture content. Their work always turned out well, even if it was a couple of days late, I've seen others with some "not so good results"