Where buy high quality low voltage landscape lights ?

Page 1 of 3
I have used 12 volt landscape lights for about seven years. During this time, I have used various light fixtures from Home Depot and Lowe's. Some seem pretty low quality, some appear pretty decent at first. But, they all leak after a few years.
I have also tried more "upscale" lights from a lighting dealer, costing in the range of $90 per fixture. They also leak after a few years. I see NO difference in quality of the "upscale" fixtures at $90 than what I buy at the big box stores at $15 each. No difference whatsoever. (Generally speaking, I am a believer in the saying that you get what you pay for. This does not appear to be the case with low voltage landscape lights).
Do any of you have experience with the long term use of low voltage landscape lights, and have you found decent fixtures with good seals, so that they don't leak after a few years ? If so, what brand/ store / etc would you suggest that I try ??
Thanks for any comments or advice !!
James

Every brand I've ever used is junk. Most of the line voltage landscape fixtures are garbage as well. The only possible exceptions are the very expensive bronze ones make by Hadco or Kim. I've tried resin and plastic, cast aluminum etc. None hold up over time, and those with bayonet and MR sockets crap out the quickest

I've got a set of those cheap plastic lights with the clip in 4v bulbs here at my place in MI... had no trouble with them in the 4 years I've been here, and they were in before I got them... Judging by how many layers of mulch the wires are under, I'd say they've been running strong for 10 years now. The caps come off the top, water and snow fall in, but, it all drains out the bottom so the light doesn't have standing water.
my 2 cents
Dave
Yes, yes, I will look for those:
"I've got a set of those cheap plastic lights with the clip in 4v bulbs"
Think I could find these at Home Depot ??
James

hey, all sarcasim aside, I just mentioned that for whatever it might be worth to someone else reading this thread later. I looked at my timer box, and it looks like they are malibu lights
cheap, yes, from the borg, yes, what you were asking about, no. but, like I said, just my 2 cents.
http://www.malibulights.com/malibu-wheretobuy.php

Go for the highest IP rating you can find is about all you can do.

What leaks, isnt the bulb in the bottom facing up. Wont water drip out, so a leak wont matter.

*I get asked about low voltage lighting by my customers every once in a while. I advise them against it. I'm in New Jersey and the weather conditions are not optimal for that stuff. The connectors corrode or fall apart. The lights don't hold up well. Landscapers abuse them. Homeowners step on them. The ones low to the ground get covered with leaves. The one at the end of the line are dimmer than the beginning.
[ -- snip -- ]
The one

Have you considered LED (light emitting diode) lights? Google "white LED Lights". Incandescent lights only only produce 5-10% light the remainder being heat and it is the latter that causes fixture failure. With leds there need not be any such fixtures. If you can live with red lights, red LEDs are even cheaper.
"Alan" wrote

not seen any low voltage garden lamps that give off much light and they certainly don't throw light any appreciable distance, they're typically used for minimally illuminating walkways. I also used low voltage lamps but I didn't like that they needed wiring and they also leaked. For six years now I've been using solar lights, they emit enough light to illuminate walkways. Even on cloudy days they recharge enough so that they give off light well past the wee hours when no one should be walking about anyway. The only time solar lamps won't recharge is when snow accumulates on the solar panels, but then the snow itself reflects more than adequate light for walking about, and it's a simple matter to brush snow off the panels. For security lighting neither low voltage or solar lighting is sufficient, for that one should have hard wired flood/spot lights with motion detectors. I've been using the same solar lamps for more than six years now, they still operate good as new and the lamp's appearance is as good as new. And eventually when the rechargeable battery pack fails it can easily be replaced, and for like $6. And there are now solar lamps that do emit enough light to illuminate relatively large areas and/or throw light a distance sufficient for a flag atop a pole. I'm sold on solar lighting, I would never again consider low voltage lights. I've already decided to buy a set of solar lights for my outdoor Christmas tree... no more 150' extention cord.

Well, illuminating a flag atop a pole is pretty far down my priority list. I might get to it one day, after I alphabetize my soup cans. But when I was browsing HD recently I checked out the lumen specs on solar lights and they were just a shade less bright than a single briquette of glowing charcoal. I don't remember seeing any that were more than 10 or 12 lumens, which would be enough to read 24 point type by if you had about 50 of them focused on one spot. Tell me more about these new ones that you've found. Source? Manufacturer? Lumen spec?
those solar lights don't actually "illuminate" anything around them. They just glow in the dark.

He didn't say how tall the flagpole was, or its corresponding sized flag either. That could be a factor regardless the lumens stated. All ones for that purpose I've seen are using standard electrical power from a meter loop of some sort. They also have a focusing shroud around such a light. Said light is pointed at the top of the flagpole to cover all directions the flag could furl. Guess if you're wearing a low-light detection device, you could see such a flag illuminated by a solar-powered light.
--
Dave

"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote in message wrote:

Yoose need to think outside your pointy little heads. Solar lighting has come a long way since the last time yoose opened your moth eaten miser purses. Harnessing solar power is the future, get used to it.
http://www.solarlighting.com /
http://www.solarlightstore.com /

Guess its a matter of perspective. 20 watts of light ain't much. Guess you may be able to detect a flag atop a flagpole without low-light visual aids if you've been in the darkness for sometime. Depends how high the flagpole is too.
http://www.solarlightstore.com/solar-spot-lights/flood-lights/integralsolarfloodlight4pack.cfm
--
Dave

On Jun 13, 9:21am, "Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

http://www.solarlightstore.com/solar-spot-lights/flood-lights/8ledsolarspotlightwhite.cfm
Took a quick look at the biggest spotlight at the above store that one might think would be best suited to get a decent amount of light for a flag on top of a pole. Look a the specs: 8 LEDS, 5 volts, plastic, 2lbs. If you're trying to make a case for solar, that sure ain't the way to do it. Stating the light output, how long it will maintain the light, etc would be a good start.

http://www.solarlightstore.com/solar-spot-lights/flood-lights/8ledsolarspotlightwhite.cfm
Took a quick look at the biggest spotlight at the above store that one might think would be best suited to get a decent amount of light for a flag on top of a pole. Look a the specs: 8 LEDS, 5 volts, plastic, 2lbs. If you're trying to make a case for solar, that sure ain't the way to do it. Stating the light output, how long it will maintain the light, etc would be a good start.
===== What a skank... you picked out the least expensive lamps at the web site... a set of 5 @ $70.. what do you expect for like $12 each, cast stainless steel with a 20 year guarantee... duh I think for the price they're a great buy, better than low voltage sets, and if not abused by stepping on them or running a lawnmower over them will probably give many years of service.
And you cannot judge illumination by wattage... when I went to school I was taught that watts is a measure of energy consumed, not output... high wattage appliances typically consume most power to generate heat... there are actually idiots out there (many idiots) who buy kitchen mixing machines by wattage... I guess they wanna use them as hair driers. The same lumens can be focused or diffused. I have various Mag-Lites that throw very intense light over great distance, powered by a couple AA cells... would definitely illuminate a flag atop a 20 ft pole, with a more efficient battery (such as is typical with solar lights) it would illuminate a flag all night With solar lights (any lights), depending on use the lower wattage may very well be the better choice... I have recessed fluorescent fixtures in my kitchen that give tremendous illumination yet consume very little wattage. Anyone who discounts solar lighting is truely a pinhead... some 70 years ago the same kind of pinheads poopooed fluorescent lights. Do yoose realize that the first automobiles used oil lamps as head lights, now they use high intensity lamps that are many times more efficient than those from just a few short years ago... believe it or not there are still many people (most of the world) who light their homes (when they do) exclusively with oil lamps and candles... they don't need any stinkin' new fangled 'lectricity. Folks better start getting used to solar energy, it's the future. The gas station has already been here more than twice as long as it will exist into the future... your great grandchildren will only know a gas station in a museum. It really doesn't matter that there will shortly be no more US made automobiles, it was bound to happen, better sooner than later, it's the best thing could have happened... need is the mother of invention. Again the US will be at the forefront. The arabs are again proving that they are the inferior people, they have more sun than oil, yet what are they doing about it.
On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 16:43:38 GMT, against all advice, something

Well, I can't really imagine why anyone would want solar lighting. I mean, when the sun is out, can't you see things well enough?
Sheesh.
--

Don\'t worry about people stealing an idea. If it\'s original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.

I never suggested judging illumination by wattage. I only pointed out that they have NO SPEC of any kind for the light output for the solar light I looked at. Should I waste my time looking at every light there? If you have a great example of a solar light with specs that can be used to light a flag at the top of a pole, I'm sure we'd all like to see a direct link to it.
/.when I went to school I was

And now you engage in racism. That should go a long way to convince people of your credibility and the merit of your arguments.