Water Heater Thermostat settings ?

Page 2 of 3

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 14:42:16 -0800, "Jon Danniken"

You are a moron, right? Children sometimes do things that for an adult are "Stupid, or clumsy" as you put it. This includes turning on the hot water without considering the effects, and being unable to turn it off.
So go pour yourself a really hot bath, and soak your head.

sanitizer.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The heat of the water in washing dishes doesn't have much to do with disease prevention...mainly the mechanical cleaning action and not using sponges, cloths or towels that are growing bacteria.
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 18:15:34 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

Hot water does a far better job of cleaning (bacteria off) the dishes.

PeterD wrote:

no they don't.
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 21:04:30 -0600, Steve Barker

Can you post a URL to one that doesn't? Uh, a mechanical/electric one, not your wife, that is... <bg>

Aside from personal preferences, some states have laws pertaining to this. For instance, as a landlord (in WA, and probably others), the max legal setting is 120. This is to protect children, the elderly, and common idiots from scalding themselves. 120 won't sterilize your dishes, and I find that to be only a marginally comfortable shower water setting in the PNW. My home settings are at 140. For rentals, I include a clause in the rental agreement which states the law, then directs the landlord to set it at _____..... usually 135-140 ....., then holds the landlord harmless for any resulting injuries. Fingers crossed that this clause will never be tested in court. It's too bad there isn't a setting which will sterilize morons.
In the desert SW, our settings are 125. This won't sterilize dishes, but it's warm enough for a comfortable shower. The water quality is so terrible they add bleach to the supply... strong enough to smell it when you flush, or turn on a tap, and likely strong enough to sterilize dishes too. This compromise also saves money, considering the higher electric rates. Many full time desert residents turn their water heaters off in the summer, since the ambient water temperature rises when the air is 110-120 every day, and never cools below 80-90. When in Rome.....
Unc
135-140 F is the range you should be looking for, if you have small children tin the house, consider a mixing valve at the bathroom sinks with a single on/off lever. We use them in schools to prevent accidental burns with kids. The normal setting is about 100/105 F , the cost is minimal and you won t find them at the Big Box stores, it gives them warm water to wash their hands, but will not cause scalds, the same holds true with emergency showers in science labs in high schools. Domestic dishwashers pre-heat the water, commercial dishwashers typically have an external pre-heater that heats the water to 180F before it enters the dishwasher.
Tom

Please remember, the only question from this OP was whether the top thermostat should be set at same temp as the lower one. Out of 34 messages so far, I think one person has addressed this single question posed in the OP. Most other messages have tried to tell me **what temperature** I should set my water heater. As I noted in my OP, I have already decided that.
Thanks !!
James
Source: V.E.R.A. -- Virtual Entity of Relevant Acronyms December 2001
OP Original Poster (slang, Usenet)=======================================Out of 34 messagesso far, I think one person has addressed this single question posed in theOP. CY: One would need to be a surgeon, to adress the question posed in the original poster. Most other messages have tried to tell me **what temperature** Ishould set my water heater. As I noted in my OP, I have already decidedthat.CY: How did you get a message in your original poster? Swollow a capsule?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

People often make decisions based on wrong information, lack of full information or facts needed for a better decision. You are in that category. Rather than do some fact finding and educate yourself, you choose to denigrate those that attempted to help. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Really, what are people thinking, mentioning reasons for a particular setting, laws, and disccussing the subject further? Just set both elements at 230 and be done with it.
:-{|

Set up a web cam, I want to watch this video.
:-/

I know you saw this when I originally posted it. Some may have missed it.
Mythbusters Blows Up Water Heater
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoyuUJj2Q&feature=player_embedded

This is Usenet. Thread drift is guaranteed.

we can now blame the obama administration and those damn liberals

Gale winds are common.

And, the OP never mentioned what Rheem (maker), installer, or the manual (RTFM) said about the settings for top / bottom.
It is an exaggeration, to say that "Most other messages have tried to tell me **what temperature** I should set my water heater".
Point out the critter that 'told' you what to "set" the heater to. I just don't see it.
You decided 115 - what's the fuss.
Thank you!

If the choice is a very low 115 deg. as the chosen temp. recommend top thermosta be set at that. Game over; any other consequences being the OPs responsibility. Bottom one same or lower.
BUT, one has to comment and that's where anyone can benefit from the opinions/knowledge and comments of this goup!
Otherwise why even bother to ask?
Comment:
Our Dept. of Health recommends that hot water for dish washing be around 160 dgrees. F. And during school kitchen inspections they will often measure it!
Domestically our dishes are washed in a dishwasher which does several washings and rinsings. AFIK it also heats the water further again to achieve a certain safe temperature.
But setting a water heater too low may achieve no economy? For example, when showering/bathing one adjust the total water temperature for self. If the hot water is hotter, one uses less of it and/or more cold. So the end result is the same; a certain total amount of the mixed hot/cold water.
Also there can be concerns about not having the water hot enough to kill certain bacteria, which could perhaps get into the tank once and then continue to breed/multiply in there.
IMO the difference in the amount of heat lost, from a well insulated hot water tank whether it is set to say 160 F or 120 F degrees is minimal. The cost, at most, being a few pennies/cents per day.
Regarding 115 deg. F whether top versus bottom thermostat or not. Fifty gallons is quite lot of hot water unless it's boarding house/ large family etc. In that case maybe the OP could set the upper at 115 and turn the bottom one as low as possible, maybe even off? .

This clause will not stand in court. Disclaimer of liability are not valid in contracts, or as signs, or anywhere else. What you need is an enforcable "assumption of liability" which you won't be able to do--a person who rents does not have the financial ability to assume liability, so you will then be named in the suit too. If there is a law stating it must be 120 degrees, regardless of the law you would also be held responsible. Were I to give you legal advice (I'm not doing so) I'd suggest setting them to 120 degrees as the rules say, and if the tennant complains, give them the names and addresses of their local representatives in the (state?) government... Simply explain you have no option.
Yep, that sign in the parking lot: "We cannot be held liable for..." is worthless! One cannot disclaim liability.

Geeze, wish I could do that! I'm considering solar water heat for summer here in NH however.