strapping ceilings?

question of the day..... before strapping ceilings would it be prudent to put up the plastic vapor barrier first? can it be put on just before the finished ceiling?

There are pro's and con's to both ways of doing it. Many depend on what type of penetrations you have and how you intend to seal them to the VB.

Mark

Reply to
M&S

I am thinking of using T&G pine on the ceilings with 6" or 8" unfaced batts for insulation... haven't ruled out drywall ceilings yet either

There are two modes of thought on that. My preferred method is to put up the vapour barrier, then the strapping. The plastic is easier to put up flat, and the holes will be sealed by the nail/screws that make them when putting up the strapping.

Option two, strapping first, then the plastic. There is more of a chance that the plastic will be holed, ripped, or torn when putting up the finish, resulting in a poor vapour barrier.

Carolyn

Reply to
Carolyn Marenger

Well, what I was more so talking about was what kind of penetrations you have in the VB like recessed lighting, electrical boxes, ductwork, and so on. Sealing the VB to these would be the main reason to do it one way over the other.

If you have a lot of penetrations I would strap then VB then finished ceiling. If you dont have many penetrations it wouldnt really make a difference if the VB was in either location.

Also we find if you have a lot of penetrations it is often easier to rough in the mechanicals only having to allow for the finished ceiling rather than having to allow for strapping and the finished ceiling.

Mark

Reply to
M&S