Stair stringer layout help

There is a stair stringer layout tool for the iPad that makes cutting stringers simple and easy called StairBuilderPro. It is unlike any other layout tool/guide in that no framing square or angle gauges are needed. The app plots all of the layout points on the board step by step and all that is required is to connect the dots and cut. It takes into account all floor covering thicknesses, tread thickness, and riser board thickness. Super easy.
On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 08:07:28 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

I wonder how the hell stairs ever got made without it!
I have never had a problem cutting stairs before the iPad. I always divide the rise by 7........... Say 108/7 = 15.42 So you have either 15 or 16 risers.....depending on distance of run and rise wanted..... So 108 / 15 = 7.2 Convert 7.2 to inches.....= 7 1/8 " rise Anyway, I wonder how a person would plot on a board the points needed to cut the stairs and with so many measurements.....? Isn't a square easier? You also need to cut on a straight line so, you need to intersect your points of measure with a straight edge anyway. hummmmm john
wrote in message
There is a stair stringer layout tool for the iPad that makes cutting stringers simple and easy called StairBuilderPro. It is unlike any other layout tool/guide in that no framing square or angle gauges are needed. The app plots all of the layout points on the board step by step and all that is required is to connect the dots and cut. It takes into account all floor covering thicknesses, tread thickness, and riser board thickness. Super easy.
On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 17:45:03 -0800, jloomis wrote:

Next Ipad will include a cutting tool. Probably on the scale of a laser beam.
On 12/9/2012 8:45 PM, jloomis wrote:

I'm sure the OP is using the iPad's plotter. You lay the iPad on the board, and it moves and plots along any board as long as needed! <bg>
(Does sound like more work than using traditional methods, doesn't it!)
--
I'm never going to grow up.

I have seen professional carpenters struggle with stairs and have personally had to redo some sets in multi million dollar homes because they couldn't grasp the idea of different floor covering thicknesses. I guess what I think is cool about this app is that if for example you want hardwood treads applied directly to the stringer with carpeting on the top floor and vinyl on the bottom floor, the amount you take off the the bottom is automatically figured for you. A novice homeowner will find this very useful as well as some carpenters I have seen.