Solar panels

Page 2 of 2

Right back at ya
PLONK

you offer nothing to this group so....
plonk

Greedy?
How about the sh&tb&gs that want to keep out oil exploration to satisfy THIER whims, making areas like the continental shelf and ANWR THEIR property?
That's GREEDY.

Yes, you'rea good little boy.
Sheez!

Yes it it is. Reducing oil dependence would reduce the greed and the need.
Sheeze
Well there's no question that we're running out of oil (in about 45 years.) Problem is, most of the alternatives are either too expensive or not sufficient to provide enough energy for the future. At the current time, we really have little choice but to develop nuclear energy to prevent near future shortages. (Wouldn't it be nice if we could just add some wind generators or solar farms and get all the energy we need)? Currently moving to alternative fuel cars will lessen the impact of increasing oil prices, but it's only a mid-term solution; not sufficient by itself.
So, how come you haven't installed fluorescent lighting in place of incandescent? <snort>

Well, yes, if you assume that exploratory & drilling technology stagnates during that term.

Agreed, and there's not much that technology can add to that.

The biggest shortcoming there is political shrillness.

Yeah...and it would be nice, too, if Santa Claus were real.

Alternative fuel cars are still going to be petro based derivitives. Electric cars powered by nuclear or something like the fuel cell using nuclear to crack hydrogen are solutions I think we'll see in the near future.

LED lighting is making great inroads. Also, know this about CFL light bulbs:
The CFL mercury nightmare
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id 7796aa-e4a5-4c06-be84-b62dee548fda
(Link may be dead, so try this one)
http://ellsworthmaine.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&idt46&Itemid1
Or do a search for CFL on www.junkscience.com

Rural Texan here. No Xmas lights, no one to impress (the purpose of). My wastes consist of:
Falling asleep during a DVD movie, waking up to the initial DVD menu screen.
Using a clothes dryer. Haven't gotten around to putting up the clothesline yet.
Using 2 night-lights to negotiate around the house at night when I get home from work.
Failing to buy flourescent bulbs for my incandescent versions. Seldom use these incandescents as light source.
Failing to open all the windows and use fresh air all the time. Set the AC thermostat at 80 degrees F. Hasn't kicked in till around 2 pm earliest.
Using electric weed trimmer to trim grass around house, fence and walk areas. Electric fence (battery/solar powered) on fence requires trimming foliage from it so it won't discharge on the foliage. Line is 6" above the ground. Keeps the dogs from digging under the fence. Considered trimming by hand, fence it too lengthy.
Water well pump is 240VAC. Sometimes irrigate the lawn using this water supply. Once a month, I take a hot vs. a shower. Electric water heater, dual tanks.
Pump 35 gallons of water a day via the water well pump to flush the aerator filtration system of sulfuric acid. Its purpose it to remove hydrogen sulfide gas from the well water. The water goes to some live oak trees downstream and St. Augustine grass. Both in vicinity of the french drain that this drain goes to.
Use warm water to wash my clothing vice cold water.
Usually turn off my computer when done. Once in awhile, I don't.
End of electrical use waste comments...
Sound like a TV commercial. We need to end our dependency on oil period, bud. Along with that, plastics, and all products made in China. Recyclable materials for reuse for production as steel is today. Would like to thank President Nixon to President Bush (SR.), inclusive, for selling out to China.. Products are inexpensive, but, all the jobs for making such products are gone. Dave

Before you invest in CFL bulbs, take a gander at this:
The CFL mercury nightmare
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id 7796aa-e4a5-4c06-be84-b62dee548fda
M wrote:

If PV stuff made sense people would buy it with their own money. The government doesn't have any money. It all comes from our pockets.
Other

>oil especially foreign oil. We are all too spoiled and waste

Absolutely, It would take lots and lots of alternative sources just to balance all of the energy wasted by people driving 5 ton trucks as personal vehicles and 6,000 square foot houses.

It would be better than doing nothing. I am sick of money being wasted on the fruitless war in Iraq. Bush has no clue on how to win that war. So the money is being wasted there. #1 they need to secure the borders. After that you have much more control. If you don't do that you will never see a victory there.

How much? Unless there's been a tremendous breakthrough, it's like the guy said, "not ready for primetime", even out west. Unless, of course, you're willing to live like Ted Kazansky.