save my stuff

I want to add an addition to my house this summer. I will try to arrange the delivery of materials as needed but am worried about someone stealing the lumber. After the addition I hope to build a garage so I can't put the material in a garage. For example, a bundle of 2x10x16'. How can I secure it? With the 4x8 sheets I think two chains perpendicular to each other with padlock might be ok. But what about the 2x10's. I will work in the evening and weekends on this. (I don't have a dog :) ) Any ideas? Thanks, Paul

I've seen people rent cargo containers.

chains won't stop them .... Do you live in such a bad area that you are worried about thieves? If you do it might not be worth investing money for an addition in the first place. If you are doing the work yourself just buy and hand carry small amounts of lumber. I bought just enough to get me through a certain stage of contsruction. Another idea is to clear out the living room and store it there. Also could rent a trailer (like for a semi)... go to the lumber yard with it.... fill it... and park it in the yard. You also could put security cameras up.

The area is not too bad, but I'm on a common street. I left an extension ladder against my house for several days and one day I noticed it was gone. Assuming someone just pulled into the driveway with a truck and took it. Security cameras are on my todo list but not now. Probably have to just buy what I can use in a day or two. Thanks, Paul

This is what you do
dont get anything delivered that you cant afford to lose or cant install right away
you are going to run into a problem where people are stealing your plumbing and stuff
this is why framers build the house as fast as they can up to the second story and dont install windows or doors
once you have the first floor built you can store more things inside and then you nail the building shut every night
other then that really dont get the whole house delivered
if you have to buy a $500 pickup and hit lowes or homedepot at 7am then you have the rest of the day to work
I have worked in some crackhead areas
oh and NEVER LEAVE YOUR TOOLS AT THE SITE
NEVER EVER
and get a Construction Pole put up with a Argon Light on it
other then that good luck

Build a bare garage first...
Put your new dog in the garage while you're gone. Make sure its trained to do his business outside.
--
Noncompliant