Replacing Electrical Weatherhead ?

I am a homeowner in Burlingame California
I am getting a new roof installed and noticed that my weatherhead is very rusty. Also the ground wire is attached through an insulator into my roof.
I would like to change out the weatherhead.
What is involved? I guess I need to contact the city? Contact the utility company PG&E to turn off power? Or do they allow the change over to be done hot?
If I get the power turned off by the utility company can I do the work myself?
I guess it would me running new wires too.
Any advice would help.
Thanks
Call an electrician.

"Tube Audio" wrote...

Why? A few coats of paint is cheaper and less of a hassle

Think you can? They'll probably want a professional doing it.

Not if there is enough slack in the wires.

Go with the paint!
Contact a Licensed Electrician. He will contact the authority. First he will need a building permit. 2nd. He will have to contact PGE for a service repair/change/replace. When the electrician and the PGE are coordinated, it would take about 1/2 day to change out the weatherhead, and have you back on. A rusty weatherhead is not an issue.(cosmetic only) An insulator and a ground going through the roof is not a real problem either. Split jacks can be installed on an existing weatherhead so that you have new flashing. Talk to the roofer or the sheet metal shop. A jack can also be made for the ground wire.....or 50 year caulk.... (The latter would save lots of money.) jloomis