Rafter connection at structural ridge beam

Question on the rafter connection at a structural ridge beam. Building is in WA state (Pierce county) Cathedral ceilings with 2x12 rafters are shown attached with simpson brackets to a 5 1/8 inch beam. (10/12 slope) What is the best way to vent the ridge with such a thick ridge beam? Would it be better to notch and place the rafters on top of the beam? Any special connection to tie the rafters together? (is it still acceptable to offset and lap the rafters?)
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 16057 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
I have notched the plywood roofing inbetween the rafters say, a 10" by 2 " slot near the top inbetween the rafters, and then use a cora ridge strip vent. The roof is shingled to the slot at the top. The strip vent is placed at the lower edge of the slot on top of the shingles. I use Henry's or roof seal on the bottom of the strip vent. This is nailed into the roof. then I put a nice bead of Henry's or roof cement to the top of the strip vent and place the next shingles on top of the strip vent. You have a 1" vent system built into the roof at the top. they make a commercial plastic application of this for the lower or bottom of the roof and that also could be used.... jloomis

Presumably the person who specified the beam is suitably qualified. Perhaps best to ask them?