Patio Door Advice

I need to replace three ancient aluminum sliding patio doors. I think they were never installed propoerly (about 40 years ago) and two are leaking.
I would "like" to put in quality wood french doors with divided lights, but can't afford it right now (I'm doing a big remodel on an old house I just bought and there are too amny other things to spend money on right now).
I am thinking about buying some "composite" sliding patio doors from Home Depot. Brand is called "Master Piece." Here is a link: http://www.masterpiecepatiodoor.com/about.html
They are only around $450 for a 6' by 8' including handle, lock and floor bolt. These things look a lot better than anything comparably prices (when they are in the store). They have a solid, chunky feel to them like wood, doors glide easily in their tracks, hardware looks good etc.
Has anyone bought these? How do they perform over time? Does the outside surface hold up to the elements? Has anyone painted the inside? If so, did the paint stick or peel off? Do they leak? Does the sealed glass unit stay sealed? Any other problems?
I'm not really sure what is menat by "composite" in this context. The slaesman said it was "like" fiverglass, but couldn't offer any more information other than they ahve been selling a lot of them. The outside looks like vinyl, while the inside looks sort of plastic, but not as glossy as final, with a wood grain and feels a little like the sawdust, resin mixtures they use for decking. Overall, not a bad look and more liek wood than either "traditional vinyl" or steel.
Please spare me the posts telling me that I have to bite the bullet and spend a lot more money - its just not in the cards right now.

✖
DaveRave24 had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/construction/Patio-Door-Advice-11133-.htm : Did you end up buying and using this door from this company. I just saw this item carried in Home Depot here in NYC.. 2LeftThumbs wrote:

-------------------------------------
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 16589 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Add pictures here
✖
On May 29, 7:05 am, DaveA24_at_verizon_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (DaveRave24) wrote:

I don't know about that brand, but I had a similar issue with an old patio door. Are these doors on a concrete slab? Because, if they are not, you might want to check the framing underneath them for damage. I replaced my old patio door which was on the second floor leading out to the deck, and the framing had rotted out significantly. I had to do a major repair to the floor joist to support the new door.
Just something to keep in mind.
Add pictures here
✖
Most if not all patio doors have underfloor damage due to leaking around the seams of the door onto the subfloor. With new pation door installation I installa stainless door pan under the door that drains to the outside and has a 1/2" lip around it on the 3 inside corners......never a leak again...... Only problem is you cannot screw the door down in the middle without penetrating the pan......some may caulk, I do not.....I just attach it well to the sides.... john
(DaveRave24) wrote:

I don't know about that brand, but I had a similar issue with an old patio door. Are these doors on a concrete slab? Because, if they are not, you might want to check the framing underneath them for damage. I replaced my old patio door which was on the second floor leading out to the deck, and the framing had rotted out significantly. I had to do a major repair to the floor joist to support the new door.
Just something to keep in mind.
Add pictures here
✖

Pation? Is that a positive or negative Pat-ion door you have there? I guess it's like a right or left hand. Installa? You sound like an Italian contractor. :)

Ice & Water Shield, or other self-adhesive, self-healing membrane, is pretty much industry standard with such installations.
✖