Noiseproofing

I'm trying to find out the best and cheapest ways to insulate a home from noise. I'm not a musician; I don't need complete silence. However, I live near a freeway and the noise is unbearable. Does anyone have suggestions for me? Or how about soundproofing for new structures?
slate91 wrote:

Fill gaps around windows & doors - Weather stripping. Fll gaps around electric outlets, other wall penetrations, behind trimat windows & doors - foam Storm windows with glass of a thickness different from existing windows ( different resonence ). Solid core doors. Insulation in walls. Barrier in landscape if location is between source and house. TB
slate91 wrote:

If space permits - trees are good at absorbing noise. They take a while to grow, but in the long run - if there is sufficient space - they can really help. A friend in a 3rd floor rental apartment hates it ever since the landlord massively trimmed the trees. There may be more light in the basement apartments - but there is a lot more noise up at his level.
Carolyn
--
Carolyn Marenger

I'd call a Realtor.

slate91 wrote:

ya move....
try living next to a train track in the city. two crossings, main line some days there about 10-15 min. apart for several hours at a time. you can not even think with the noise.
I would rather have the highway drone could use noise gen to cover it. or a water feature,or landscape.
anyway i know what noise does to a person it's makes them synicial (sp) :)
i bought property in the country ...will build a house sometime....at least it's escape from the city.
good luck this ng should help I've learned a lot by lurking :)
Charles
If you can afford it, Quietrock costs $130 for a 4'x 8' sheet, and is a better noise reducer than standard soundboard and sheetrock combined. Another way to reduce sound is to install metal channels behind the sheetrock on the ceilings. The channels do not allow the the vibrations to travel between floors.
Nicholas Falkoff
slate91 wrote:

I looked at Quietrock, and it seems to be even cheaper than you said. I guess they just came out with a newer version that costs only $49.95 instead of $130. The metal channels thing sounds too complicated, but Quietrock looks great! Do you think Quietrock would work in any home?
Nick wrote:

Dude, Slate:
If you got the money to build a NEW structure.... look into steel. With 8" walls and superior structural integrity, you can't hear anything! We have our model home 100 ft away from an interstate hwy. When the door is closed in it, you can't hear.... unless someone honks for random extended periods of time.... which in a college town, that's not very unusual.... hope this helps!