Nails or screws for old cedar siding?

I'm painting a house I just bought (my very first house), and I have a question:

Several of the old cut-nails used to hold the siding on are loose, and therefore the siding is loose. I'm in the process of sanding now, but when I prime/paint, I want to secure the siding back to the house. Should I use nails or screws?

At first, I thought, "Screws, absolutely." But do I WANT the siding to be able to move around a little on the nail? Vinyl siding is put up loose.

Thanks.

Phil Crow

Reply to
phildcrow

jloomis

No, it should _not_ be caulked (except perhaps at a corner). It is left w/ bottom edges uncaulked specifically so any moisture has a path out rather than pooling and being trapped behind...

For OP, agree a ring-shank siding nail would be fine--depending on the sheathing, make sure you're nailing into something solid--may not be anything solid-enough except at the wall studs if it's a fairly new house. If it's old enough, the sheathing may be solid underneath.

--

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
jloomis

T & G if installed right should not be caulked. If it is put on up side down as I have seen, then yes it should be caulked

Reply to
Glenn

Not a one I've ever seen should be caulked...

--

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
jloomis

That's entirely different...

Correct...

--

Reply to
dpb

Use SS ring shank nails that are made specifically for siding. They are much less ugly than screws and are almost invisible if installed properly. They are soft and will bend if you hit a knot or such, but otherwise drive pretty well.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Ok, thanks all. Looks like ring-shanks it is.

Now all I've got to do is get the damn thing painted. Ugh.

Thanks again, Phil

Reply to
phildcrow