Miami Beach Roofing Permit

I recently contracted a good friend of mine to re-roof to commercial buildings in Miami Beach, each one was about $4,000 sq ft. He told me he was going to get a permit and that he always just calls it in to not have to hassle with the wait, however this time he did but the guy forgot to run the permit and the roofs have already been finished. The GC refuses to pay me without some a closed permit, and I had to pay the guys for the work, so without the payment for the GC I am in the hole $24,000. They were two flat roofs, and what he did was put one ply of the base #75 and the GAF modified Bitumen paper over that, the fiberglass he said was not needed because the modified paper has fiberglass in it, he showed me the product approval papers and it also said that the fiberglass was optional. Now I have heard something called a Permit after the fact, where I can call for an inspection even after the work was done. Will this work for me? And how do I go about getting it, if I do not get the permit and get paid I don't what I will do. Thanks for any help.

And exactly who are you in this mess? The owner of the buildings? Sub-contractor? What? Where you stand in this may determine how you handle it, not to mention how things should have been done in the first place. You can't blame the GC for not paying since it sounds like you hired your friend without his approval. After all, the GC, more than likely, had a certain amount allotted for the roof in his bid. Not to mention the GC is assuming most of the risks. Hiring a friend and having him tell you that he'll call-in the permit, should have been your first two clues. He may not even be licensed in Miami, and I'm sure there is some sort of fee involved. I'd get your friend to take care of the permit and don't pay him until he does. If you already paid him, consider it a $24k lesson and one less friend.

Go to fucking hell, all I asked is how to get out of the mess, not fot a fucking lecture you prick, Thanks!
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It is now quite obvious why you are in such a mess.
Matt

Well fuck you very much! I'd hardly call that a lecture, but more of a clue as to how most construction projects are run. Then again, with the little info you did provide and your attitude, you're lucky to get any help.