Matching drywall thickness to adjacent plaster

I've got an area of my kitchen where I'll be removing plaster walls in order to insulate, add wires, ductwork, etc. On one side, the area to be removed will be contiguous with some that will remain intact. In another, it'll be removed to a corner. I don't know yet how thick the existing plaster & lath are, but I suspect it won't match any standard drywall products. If the plaster's thicker than the thickest drywall available, what's a good way to make this work? Shims on the beam edges before installing the drywall? Prayer?

A bit of shimming and a bit of skimming.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

Jeff, I'm taking down an amount of plaster wall equivalent of about 6 sheets of drywall. No way I'm going to plaster it again. All the lath is coming off so I can install fiberglass insulation batts. I've done plenty of plastering in the past, but in this case, it would be nuts.

How about blueboard (plasterboard) and a veneer coat of plaster? You can fur out as needed to get the face of the blueboard within 1/8" of the existing plaster, and then the veneer coat will even it up.
Cheers, Wayne
If you have to skim over 192 sq ft of wall board to level it to the existing plaster wall, you might as well be plastering.
Jeff

Why in the world would he do that? Plaster is usually about 3/4" thick. Usual drywall for that app would be 1/2". What's the big deal of furring 1/4" on the studs or if you need 3/8", you already have that with the lath you removed. I would get a really clean joint from the old to the new and tape it with several thicknesses of the nylon mash made for that. Before they came out with that type tape, I have used a nylon hose (sock).

This is the way I'm leaning, after reading all the comments.

Since gyp board comes in 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8" thicknesses, just sandwitch what you need.

What should go in between the layers? Mayo? Mustard? What kind of mustard? Either be specific, or your suggestion isn't very helpful.
:-)

I use annoying little children. It's traditional in many places.