Light bulbs

For what it's worth.
I have been using the new florescent light bulbs lately and like them. In the table lamps in the living room, I had 75W regular bulbs. I tried the supposedly equal to 75W florescent light bulbs and with them side beside, I thought they were a little bit dimmer than the ordinary ones. Although the lumens on the package shows them brighter. I took them back and got the equal to 100W ones and they work just fine. If anything they may be a smidgen brighter than the regular 75W's.
I have them in the 2 lamps and the 5 recessed kitchen soffit lights so far. They are really good in the recessed because they run MUCH cooler. Every one of the 7 are replacing regular 75W's and they each pull only 25W so I'm saving 350W right there. Only problem is I have a lot of my lighting on dimmers and they can not be dimmed so I'm limited to their use..
Glenn wrote:

If you are talking about CFLs, you can buy dimmable and 3-way versions. I have both and they work pretty well. The dimmables will begin to flicker if you dim them too low, unlike incandescents that just gracefully disappear, but the dimming range is still pretty large.
www.buylighting.com is where I bought mine.
Matt
BY GUM!! that place is a rip off! $10 a piece??? Hell, I buy 6 for $10.
--
Steve Barker

"Matt Whiting" < snipped-for-privacy@epix.net> wrote in message
Steve Barker wrote:

Where do you buy 6 dimmable CFLs for $10? Or 6 3-way bulbs?
I wasn't suggesting anyone buy the run of the mill bulbs there.
Matt
I was looking at the non-dimmable on the site you cited. $10 each!
--
Steve Barker

"Matt Whiting" < snipped-for-privacy@epix.net> wrote in message
Steve Barker wrote:

Yes, but I could not find them locally anywhere so it was a good price in that regard.
Matt
Where is a good place to buy them?

I've bought most of the ones I have at Lowes.
--
Steve Barker

"Dennis" < snipped-for-privacy@npcc.net> wrote in message
Steve Barker wrote:

Your Lowe's has 3-way and dimmables? Mine doesn't.
Matt
Never looked. Don't need 'em.
--
Steve Barker

"Matt Whiting" < snipped-for-privacy@epix.net> wrote in message
Steve Barker wrote:

Then try to keep up and not make irrelevant posts to threads about which you haven't a clue.
Matt
I only replied to the post about a particular supplier. I noticed their prices were way high. So blow me. I keep up fine. Just don't like spending money when it's not necessary. Just what is it that I posted that I don't have a clue about smartass?
--
Steve Barker

"Matt Whiting" < snipped-for-privacy@epix.net> wrote in message
Steve Barker wrote:

The OP asked about CFLs that were DIMMABLE. I gave him a source for DIMMABLE CFLs. You jump in claiming this source was a rip-off as the bulbs are available elsewhere for much less money. Yet you have provided no source for less expensive DIMMABLE CFL bulbs. What part of DIMMABLE didn't you understand?
You might want to at least learn what the discussion is about before you criticize.
Matt
Well if the NON DIMMABLE bulbs are 6 times the normal price, then I'll bet there's a good chance their dimmable bulbs are over priced also.
--
Steve Barker

"Matt Whiting" < snipped-for-privacy@epix.net> wrote in message
Steve Barker wrote:

If you can't get them anywhere else, then they are fairly priced by definition. And nobody forces you to buy them there. The OP suggested you couldn't get dimmable CFLs and I was simply providing a source where one could get them. And then the clueless started piling on...
Matt
OK guys. I'm happy using incandescent in the dimmable circuits.
I can't see 2 guys who are regular contributors fighting over such an inconsequential subject.

Steve Barker wrote:

Check the member stores; Sam's, Cosco, BJs, etc. They are cheaper. GE, 8 to a pack (Sam's $12.73).
--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY
====================================Think they're a good idea. I'm not put off my their initial cost like some people are. I understand their cost savings. However, there are certain medical conditions in which fluorescent lighting should never be used. Some forms of epilepsy for instance.
--
Noncompliant

Noncompliant wrote:

Not true. They make CFL bulbs for dimmers http://www.gelighting.com/na/home_lighting/ask_us/faq_compact.htm#dimmer

"Both natural and artificial light sources can cause flickering which might be a problem for people with photosensitive epilepsy. For example, sunlight reflected off wet surfaces or through leaves of trees, flashing lights in discos and the flickering of faulty fluorescent lighting may also trigger seizures. However the commonest trigger for people with photosensitive epilepsy appears to be television". http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/photo.html
--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY