leaning garage

Issue: I have a small one car garage, gable end over door and rear, that is leaning to the left. The garage is about 3.5 inches out of plumb over 7' of height. I know how to correct the lean having done it before on a garage that leans front to rear, but i have a question on this job. The rear wall will be simple to correct, I am going to let in a 2x running diagonal across the rear. Now for the question: How do I brace the front? The corner posts are doubled

2x4s wiith a space of around 6" between that and the doubled 2x that are the garage door sides/ header support. I don't believe that this small area will suffice as a shear wall if I sheath it with plywood. My instinct tells me it will just be a wider corner post, around 9" - (2 2X4 + 6 INCH CAVIVITY + 2 2x = 9") that will subsequently lean.

What to do?

Scot

TIA

Reply to
srazor

Sounds more like an enclosed minimal wall stud carport to me, rather than a garage per se. I used 1X4 wind braces in 3 corners of small garage I last built. All walls are braced. It would help to know the distance between each corner and each garage door stud on either side. That's the problem child. You may have to embed metal into the garage door header and tie it to the top plate if space is at a premium.

Reply to
Jonny