Landscape Lighting for Big Trees

Reposting from alt.binary.lawn.garden as no responses there. ....

We are considering putting lighting in some large trees (40'tall and 60' width) in our yard. We live in Tulsa, OK if that matters. I am working on putting in an irrigation system and while the ditches are there, might as well put in some power to the trees for lighting.

I prefer to not mess with the low voltage lighting and transformer - prefer to just use the 110v comming straight from the house (using 12/2 UF cable). I am not opposed to using a trasformer, but it will be easier for me to just use 110v.

Can anyone recommend outdoor lighting for the trees - would like some to be pointed up and some pointed down to the ground.

Thanks!

Reply to
Dave Hembree

No response there... I wonder why..

Reply to
Bill

Floodlights?

Reply to
Mike Robinson

110 is the way to go...if you went 12vdc you need heavy wire to get the lummens you need, and those tend to corrode and components are not common.

Heat is a problem though with incandescents, but that gives the best broad spectrum light, showing up color well and healthy for the tree.

Maybe warm *full spectrum..fluorescent flood bulbs would work, they max out at 100w though. if you dont like them you can screw regular incandenscent outdoor floods or spot bulbs in...you can run 14/2 to the individual lights...that will carry 9 amps steady. (1000 watts at 120v)

You will probably want some 200 to 600 watt spots to light the top of the tree. you could easily have 1000 watts on that thing...thats 9 amps... 12/2 would be fine. Myself I would pull at least 10/2 in case I wanted more light... the 12/2 maxes out at 15 amps (steady) 20 is just the max limit.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

There are 10,000 things to consider...

-Shape of tree - wide Oak or tall pine or...

-Distance from ground to first branch

-Density of branches/leafs (and evergreen or deciduous)

-Use of the ground under the trees - play lawn or plantings or...

-Brightness of surrounding lighting - dark forest or city streetlights or...

-How long will they be lit - a few hours during parties or all night every night - $$$

Fluorescent floods are effiecient but limited to short and wide patterns. Metal Halide are better for big bright fixtures. Incandescent (halogen) are best for small focused uses and for small fixtures up in the trees. I've used lots of MR16 lamps (12V) in large and medium trees. Leave the transformer on the ground and you have great mounting options.

But first and foremost get some local experienced help! You describe a big project and your going to waste far more than a consultant will cost without some specific knowledge.

Richard Reid, LC Luminous Views

Reply to
RickR