Kitchen cabinets inquiry

I've done a lot of construction on my house, and am going to install hardwood floors in my kitchen. But, as part of an overall remodel on the kitchen, I'll also install granite countertops and modify the cabinetry as part of a redesign.

The problem is the cabinetry. The current cabinets are good quality, but we need major modification in the layout. What's the best procedure for finding a contractor and bid that's reasonable for quality work? There seem to be a lot of company's out there salivating over a remodel on our kichen, but I don't want to pay more than I have to.

For example, can I have some cabinets modified in place, torn out and replaced, and have still more cabinetry added in a redesign, having all the surfaces refinished of course, at a cheaper cost than replacing the entire kitchen cabinetry?

Also, will I find that having the granite installation done under the same contractor better than having that work done as a separate contract. I figure that after the cabinetry is determined, I can measure and choose the granite itself, but I'm not a do-it-yourselfer for granite or cabinet install.

Experiences from consumers and professionals alike wanted...

Reply to
Alan

If you've done alot of work on the house, have you considered doing the work yourself, or just purchase new cabinets. I'm guessing for the price of the contractor, you can get some really nice cabinets. As for the granite counter top, you might want to look into the counter top from Granite Transformations

I had my counter top measured. It's a 3/8 granite overlay made to go over formica, but works in new construction as well. The bonus is that you don't have the weight of the granite, which all floors are not meant to support, but it looks just like it without having to seal the surface regularly. Oh yeah...the other upshot is that it's about 1/3 less in price. :-)

Good luck...

Reply to
DAC

In article , Alan says...

Like you, I did the framing in my house and many other things. Some things - like drywall - just aren't worth doing yourself, but you can save a bundle by doing your own cabinets. You can get semi-custom cabinets to work in just about anywhere if you are designing them. They can be ordered in 3" increments on the width and with a little planning - you can make them fit any design. If you've never installed cabinets - they're not as difficult as you might think. You need time and patience. Usually any place that sells cabinets will also be linked with a company that does granite tops. Most of the granite now comes from South America or Africa and is much cheaper than U.S. granite, so check the prices. The quality is the same no matter where the rock comes from. You may get a better deal through your cabinet supplier rather than going directly to the stone dealer. Check to make sure. The granite tops will have to be measured by the one's installing the granite. They will do a template and cut the gratite to match your counters. If they make the mistake - they have to eat it. They did that with mine and had to take it all back. They made the wrong cuts for the kitchen and had the wrong granite for the bathroom. The installers weren't real happy with hauling those 400 pound slabs in and out of my house so they made sure the cutters did it right the second time. A reputable granite company will let you pick out your slabs before they cut them. Then you know exactly what you're getting.

Reply to
Mike Hammer