GFCI circuit for 110v 20 amp hot tub question

Hello, I just picked up a used Hot Springs spa that is 110v 20amp. It has had the original GFCI plug cut off and replaced with a standard plug. I am setting the spa up in my garage and plan to share the receptical for my washing machine that is on a 20amp breaker. (Won't be running them at the same time). I am wondering if I can use a GCFI adapter in between the cord and outlet. The spa has 2 breakers on the control box already. Just want to be safe. Thanks for any help.

I would replace the GFCI plug.
Perhaps see if this is the right one.. It mentions Hot Springs...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Leviton-115V-20A-GFCI-Spa-Cord-Plug-End-6893-GFI-NEW_W0QQitemZ230278066537QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leviton-115V-20A-GFCI-Spa-Cord-Plug-End-6893-GFI-NEW_W0QQitemZ230278066537QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
PS I have to wonder why the old one was cut off? Perhaps because it kept tripping out due to a fault? Take care now.