Flush really needed? ( W heater)

Hey everyone, I just wondered, I allways used to flush my HW heater yearly, then read a whole lot ( mostly from this NG) about how sediment builds up, and that a dip tube which "swirls" the water helps alot... BUT, we have a whole house recirculating pump which runs during the day to speed up HW delivery. Wouldnt this reduce , if not eliminate the need to drain the thing? The pump is attached to the bottom of the tank off of the drain line. I will be honest, I dont know whether water goes in there or out , but at any rate , the water at the bottom must be stirred up quite a bit.. Any ideas on this? Its not that big a deal to drain it, I am just curious.. Cheers G
If the water is going in the drain then the sediment is still there, if out your faucets shold hae clogged screens. Drain it and use a screen to see what comes out. Draining is better anyway

But be sure to turn the recirculator off overnight to let the solids settle before you drain it off.

you are correct.... btw the water goes in the top and out top on most heaters...yours would go in the top and out bottom most likely.
having said that, you can drain a few gallons out of the drain valve on your heater once a year... if comes clear its a waste of time...if it comes dirty then keep it up... the dirtier it is the more you need to drain it. (thats called a blow down in the boiler bidness)
Phil Scott