Doorbell always uses electricity!

Page 5 of 10

i have a door knocker. My old house had a hand-cranked through-the-door doorbell.
No annoying ground currents to kill the Jehovah's Witnesses.
.max
--
This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.
max wrote:

I had a big brass Taiwanese taxi horn on the door to my apartment which was at the top of an enclosed stairwell. The booming sound it made when someone squeezed that big old black rubber bulb was breathtaking. Heck that was 35 years ago, I don't recall what became of that damn thing but I wish I still had it.
Jehovah's Witnesses are fun to mess with. I had a big black cape and cap with some horns. In my best Boris Karloff voice I would invite them in explaining that I was in need of a good sacrifice. Have you ever seen a Jehovah Witness run?
TDD

C'mon dude. I'm still working on CFLs for the whole house. Ace is finally carrying CFLs for those overhead recessed lights.
My house is a bit from the street and faces away from the street. Rural area, no street lights. The lit doorbell is the only lit beacon guiding one to the front door. Really helpful on a no moonlit night.
Some of the stuff that is still lit off when "off" is keeping information in a memory chip. The easy solution, if they ever decide to get "green", is to do it like on PCs. Put that information using volatile memory powered by a long-lasting watch battery. The circuit also has a built-in clock for maintaining accurate time. That's why you can unplug your PC from the wall for awhile, plug it back in. The time should still be accurate if the onboard battery is up to snuff.
Cable and satellite receivers have to recover network communication and verify user authenticity when turned on. The satellite receiver that I use is uncomfortably hot to the touch, so its using some significant power compared to say a digital clock. Same when "off".
--
Dave

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:21:14 -0800, "Bill"

And probably spent more money on something that is perhaps unsafe than if you'd just let it be... (IMHO!)
At rest, with no secondary current, a properly designed transformer will draw virtually no primary current. We're talking perhaps a quarter watt max, usually less.
Now, at a quarter watt, that's six watt-hours per day, or 186 watt hours per month. At $0.15 per KWh, you are talking perhaps $0.03 on the electric bill each month. Now, what's the payback for your project? Say you spent $30 on the romex and switch and box (probably spent more) you'll get your money back, oh, about the time hell freezes over!
Another prime example of people acting without thinking. Just like every other knee-jerk reaction to a percieved (and non-existant) problem.
Bill wrote:

So what is the pay back time for the materials you used? The transformer when idle uses very small amount of energy. Turning it on/off frequently may shorten it's life. computers, most appliances draws small amount of energy when idle. Automobiles are same. Do you see decreased mount in power bill as a result? I pay 7 cents for 1KW/h. For that door bell to use 1KW/h will be quite long time. MTW, our house has motorozied chime palying Westminster bells.
I went through a lot of the replies, the one thing no one thought of is the EMF pulse through the transformer when its powered up and down quickly, it's sorta like a old style igition coil, there is a pulse of voltage then the magneitic field colapases, and having full line voltage at a doorbell button outside where it may get wet, exposed to the weather is not a good idea either, but if one realy wants to go green, go with the old fashioned door knocker, but when we remodeled and put the front door in, I installed a wired doorbell button and all.

EMF pulse, you worry too much.
Doorbell transformers are highly reliable only had one fail in my lifetime.
I was about 10 when it got noisey and warm so i replaced it. want to walk thru our former home someday, wonder if its still in use.
it got noisey and pretty warm, a fond memory of a big fix at the time
That pulse can pack a pretty good hit, want to try something, flash a 9 volt batt on the low voltage side of a doorbell transformer, and feel what you get on the other side. that pulse can back feed through the house wiring, and posiblilty zap something else. Thats all I was worried about.

EMF pulse, you worry too much.
Doorbell transformers are highly reliable only had one fail in my lifetime.
I was about 10 when it got noisey and warm so i replaced it. want to walk thru our former home someday, wonder if its still in use.
it got noisey and pretty warm, a fond memory of a big fix at the time
Craig M wrote:

conductors of a telephone cable to light a dial. Occasionally I found an unsuspecting person to hold the plug.
I also used to enjoy putting my tongue on the terminals of a 9 volt battery.
The doorbell might absorb some of the pulse, but not as well as a resistive load. I agree that if you didn't get shocked pressing the button, you might get shocked releasing it.

That was cool wasn't it! Did you also used to eat the paper paste in kiddie school art class?

Red Green wrote:

E Z Peaces wrote:

If you are really out of your mind like me. You can stick this battery to your tongue or for a psychedelic effect stick it to your forehead.
http://tinyurl.com/6hxpgr
TDD

So what? I lose more money each year in coins that have fallen between the seats in my car.
Save the planet? Hardly. If everyone on the grid turned-off their doorbell transformer, it wouldn't make ANY difference - not ONE iota - in climate change. None. Zippo.

So what? Hang one - ONE - load of laundry on a line to dry instead of using the clothes dryer and you've compensated for a LIFETIME of such minor energy usage.

You need to get a job or a life - or both.
You could have saved yourself a lot of time, effort and money by simply turning-off the transformer and removing the doorbell button. Let 'em KNOCK.
[Shaking my head, walking away and muttering] Unbelievable.
--
:(
JR

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 07:52:28 -0600, Jim Redelfs

Nice idea, but there are situations where that just won't suffice: what about people who live up on the third floor of a big house, or who are deaf and need lights to flash when someone rings?

Thank-you.
Post a sign: "Knock LOUDLY!"

Post a sign: "Knock REALLY LOUDLY!"

That's a good question. How did these unfortunate people manage before electricity? After all, it's doing WITHOUT all these annoying and unnecessary conveniences that will save the planet.
Gawd, this is scary. You sad folks probably voted, too.
--
<sigh>
JR

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 21:26:03 -0600, Jim Redelfs

You must not know any deaf people personally. Your ignorance is showing.

They survived by being cut off from the world, basically, and certainly not by choice.

sad.........
you could install a small crank generator, to power whatever annuciator you want.
or get a dog, our bell rarely rings, dog knows somone is coming before they are near the house.
dog helps keep my feet warm at night.
always happy to see me arrive home.
often nicer and friendlier than my wife:(

Au contraire, my condescending "friend". He would find my approach to this inane thread quite amusing.

You are mistaking cynicism for ignorance.
--
JR

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 21:36:31 -0600, Jim Redelfs

And he'd laugh at your earlier comment about how sad you think it is that deaf people probably voted?

No, I'm seeing contempt, not cynicism.

If that is how my comment was taken, I apologize. It was NOT directed at deaf people.

In that case, again I apologize. I hold no contempt for those doing what they like.
--
:)
JR