Doorbell always uses electricity!

Page 4 of 10
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that.
If it was "a very common problem", can you offer a cite proving that a 60 hz transformer and 10-50 feet of unshielded wire with 24 vac on it can cause interference at radio frequencies?
Wouldn't you expect that if that story was true those big pole pig transformers and all that higher voltage wiring running on the poles on nearly every street would have caused the radios to melt? <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

According to the FCC Interference Handbook, defective doorbell transformers are often a source of interference to TVs and other household electronics. It may be a neighbor's transformer. I think it happens when part of the core comes loose and vibrates.
E Z Peaces wrote:

I'm no EE, but I would guess that most of the in-house interference is back down along the power lines, not through the air. I know that on the baby shortwave I use to AM-band DX myself to sleep at night, when some unknown something in my house (or one of the neighbor's houses on the same pole can) is running, I can't get S**t to come in. But if I unplug the wall wart and run on batteries it comes in fine, as long as the unplugged cord is over a foot from the radio. Intermittent as hell, and annoying.
-- aem sends...
E Z Peaces wrote:

If the Guberment says so it must be so. I just don't believe it.
Boden wrote:

Several electric utilities say so. It can also come from microarcs in transformers on poles. When they get a complaint, they check poles with an ultrasound detector to pick up noise from an arc.
When a doorbell transformer fails, I imagine it's usually an open primary. When it first opens, I imagine the vibration of the transformer could keep the break arcing indefinitely.

Yes.
Nope, that cant produce electrical interference.

Not that last bit of yours they dont.

Different effect entirely.

Yes, because thats the thinnest wire.

Nope, you wont get vibration if its got an open primary.
You dont even have enough current to maintain the arc. Completely different to pole transformers.
Boden wrote:

There's always something new to learn....
When I asked for a cite I was thinking only of properly operating doorbell equipment.
I located this FCC cite:
http://tinyurl.com/63ob78
(It's on page 14 of the .pdf document.)
It sayss there's a thermostatic overload inside (some?) doorbell xformers designed to protect them from overheating and starting a fire if the doorbell button sticks on - or there's a short in the secondary side wiring.
The report says that those thermal overloads (which I expect break the 120 volt primary circuit.) cycle off and back on around once every seven seconds and that the inductive spark at its contacts can propogate through house wiring and cause flashes of interference on a tv or "static clicks" in radios.
Who woulda thunk it?
I wonder how long that cycling mode would continue before those thermal overload contacts got burned enough to stop connecting and leave an open circuit there.
That's the second time I've made a mistake this year...Thank G_d it's almost December. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Interference from a neighbors transformer is rampant in that when people realize it uses 3 bucks of electricity a year to run they buy a couple of hundred feet of copper cable and conduit (so it's code compliant) and illegaly trench it to the neighbors power.
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Do you know what voltage most (USA) doorbells operate on?
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

twenty volts or under, while thermostat transformers are typically twenty four volts.
Leroy wrote:

name is?
TDD
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 01:14:34 -0600, The Daring Dufas

You didn't ask Jeff personally. Had you done so, it would have been an email, instead you asked a general question on Usenet, and someone was nice enough to reply with good information. And, yes, we know what your name is: "Asshole".
PeterD wrote:

I didn't ask you either. You obviously missed the point of the question, it was a little dig. I did not ask the general either. *snicker*
TDD
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:47:24 -0600, The Daring Dufas

You're still an asshole...
PeterD wrote:

I consider myself to be an actinic sphincter. It sounds more professional. People who know my mother call me SOB.
TDD
On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 22:38:04 -0600, The Daring Dufas

(They would work just as well on lower voltage DC)
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Dang! Nobody seemed to get the little dig at Jeff. What you will find are 6, 8, 10, 12, 16 and 24 volts AC. Some really old stuff will be DC dry cell powered but only if the owner wants to keep it original for nostalgic or antique collecting purposes. Most of the doorbell transformers I install have triple taps for 8, 16 and 24 volts. Many doorbells will need a 10 volt transformer and if you need 24 volts to ring your ding dong you're either deaf or have a seriously complicated system. I have setup some serious systems for industrial and commercial buildings by making use of the very loud and fun to play with devices manufactured by Edwards Signaling which now belongs to GE. My personal favorite:
http://tinyurl.com/5zkoow
TDD

Now THAT's my kind of "doorbell"!
Deaf people on the 10th floor and all the <ahem> "residents" of the nearby cemetery will take notice.
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs wrote:

I had a friend who was having problems with Bulgarians stealing the copper and aluminum out of his small apartment complex. I took a motion sensing floodlight and an Edwards 120 volt square fire horn which we installed at the rear of the apartments. One night he was awakened by the wonderfully loud obnoxious sound of that horn accompanied by some equally loud screams and cursing in the local Bulgarian dialect. The next morning he found a lot of blood, bits of dark flesh and torn black clothing on the barbed wire fence. For some reason his losses to the vandalizing thieves abated.
TDD
I have to agree, thats a doorbell