Can I use Clinker breezblock

I am building a large outhouse at the back of my garden. 7m x 5m. It will have a flat roof and only be single storey. I want to use cellular clinker,breezeblock to build the outside (because it is lighter to work with, I am getting old and the dense concrete block is to heavy)and use thermalite block inside.

My local builders merchant tells me this block is only for oartition walls and is non load bearing and should not be used for this. The only load would be a flat roof. Surely I can use this block and render the outside.

Thanks Ian.

Reply to
karen mountain

Sorry Ian,

The merchant will be citing UK Building Regs about external walls & load bearing walls. Your local Building Inspector will dictate the same criteria, as your structure is larger 2 m sq. they will want to vist at the various stages, - final excavation - foundation completion - DPC & half height wall - completion of the wall & install the roof bearing members & perhaps completion. Step outside those regs laid down & enforced in these matters, & it will mean far more hassle than following the correct criteria from day one (they may well order you to demolish the structure & re-start from scratch - it has been known in the UK!).

Seek local professional planning advice of an architect, this will cost, BUT that will offset the cost of reconstruction & dealing with planning enforcement orders later!

John Locke.

Reply to
john-locke