Building a floor question?

Hello,
If youare building a 14 x 14 platform can you use 2 x 4's for the joists, if the platform is sitting on a floor, and still put kitchen appliances on it? Would putting the joists closer than 1 ft. help? The floor boards may be 1 x 4?
Thank you.
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:09:51 -0700 (PDT), Shylock

Are you saying you are laying the 2x4s on top of a poured concrete floor so they simply space the floor you are building up off the concrete? If yes, I don't see why not, if you have the room at the ceiling.
2x4s, a sub-floor (ply), then your 1x4 flooring, right? As the 2x4s will be continously supported, that should not be a problem.
However, if my assumption is wrong... Then perhaps not! <g>
I do not see why not either. I would use a pressure treated floor joist (2x4) I think that 16" o.c. is fine. This depends on if all the joists are being supported by an underlying floor which your question seems to indicate. I would also put a plywood subfloor on that.glue the subfloor to the joist.....too, (then your finish floor boards....is that 1x4's?) john