Advice needed on painting outdoor teak furniture.

A client wants her heavy teak outdoor chairs painted (low lustre) white.
I asked Benjamin Moore what primer and paint they'd recommend I use.
They said that: "Due to the nature of teak being an "oily" wood, it has proven to be non-conductive for long term adhesion of paints. At the present time, we do not offer a primer and paint coating system that is recommended for painting teak."
Does anyone have a positive experience painting outdoor teak furniture that has borne the test of time? What primer and paint did you use?
Thanks for any advice,
Tony

Positive? No, teak can't be successfully painted, or varnished. It should be oiled to protect it.
If your client doesn't understand that she'd be ruining some (probably expensive) teak chairs, I'd suggest that you should look for other clients.
Sorry if that comes off as me being a jerk, but there are some things that one should never, ever do.
If she wants white chairs (why, white would look like crap in a year!) then take her to 'The Pine Barn' and have her buy some new ones.
I have to agree with Peter...dont paint teak, you oil it or leave it be, it weathers well outdoors, but oiled looks better, she is better off getting some PVC outdoor furinture.

It's not recommended to paint teak. Perhaps you could bleach the colour out of it? Never tried it on teak but som oak went quite white.
http://antiquerestorers.com/Articles/jeff/using_wood_bleach.htm
Thanks for the help, guys.
Tony
On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 23:57:21 -0000, "Cwatters"

My experience with teak is that it will not bleach well... It is a 'rich' wood with good color and properties, and trying to hid it behind a coat of paint is foolish! <g>

Only an idiot would paint teak, Get a Teak cleaner Oxalic Acid and clean it, then oil it. Grey teak is also nice. You could use an oil primer and paint but it may not last.