Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Water Tank Question
I have an existing water tank with a pump inside that fills the tank, and pressurizes the system. I am putting another tank side by side to "gravity feed" an area down below my property. I was...
13
13

House heat loss
According to Mike Holmes, HGTV show Holmes on Homes, when there is no snow on the roof, and your neighbors have snow, that indicates heat loss. But isn't that a good thing? Do you want snow buildup on...
5
5

post and beam construction
The normal way of building P&B homes is using wood in the posts and beams. What if I wanted to use cement as the post? One style I've looked at uses 6x6 posts and 6x8 beams. So I figure a 12x12 post...
14
14

power table saws
does anyone make a table saw that doesn't generate a ton of noise? the major companies seem to make it a point to make these damn things as noisy as possible. Even a hand held circular saw is fairly...
11
11

Sistering floor joists
some time ago i inquired about fastening some steel plate to the sides of some 100+ year old, full dimension, rough cut oak floor joists to stiffen them up. I've decided to sister them with like sized...
10
10

Jacking wood rafters
Hello, I have a 1910 home in which the roof is grossly underframed, and I would like to strengthen it so I can install solar panels. The original 2x4 rafters at 32" o.c. span 12' 3" in plan from plate...
6
6

Cottage in Everest Window Advert
Does anyone know the location of the black and white cottage that appears in the Everest Window advert? Thanks

Laminate floor in my basement
I bought laminate floor from Costco. The kind that has thin insulated padding underneath. My contractor recommended to put plastic sheet over the concrete and lay the laminate floor over the sheet...
22
22

roofing violation question
Our building is 60 years old. If our building roofing appears leads or asbestos, what action NY DOB will take? I heard DOB may ask residents move out from building and demolish it. Will it happen? it...
4
4

Drywall in the cold
I will be putting the final pieces of drywall up in the addition in the next day or so and will be ready to mud. Question is, how cold can it get? Heat during application is not an issue. I have a...
3
3

Shower of Cement
hehe I like that subject line.. But.. do you have to tile the shower floor and sides ? I am partitioning some two bed apts and making them into 4 rooms with bathroom (shower only, no tub)is it...
10
10

roofing
Considering using Ice and Water shield on the entire roof of my house in Fla. Is this advisable? Roof is ventilated well. Is it worth putting the membrane on in regards to possible hurricane damage to...
3
3

RED ALERT !!! New Bill Will Federalize All Water
RED ALERT !!! New Bill Will Federalize All Water water in your rain barrel . . . they can take it or condemn it Direct the water that runs off your roof into your basement; and then into a French...

Building Products Made In America
I took this from another newsgroup > > Thanks Doug, Here's a link to the list mentioned in the report: Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA...
5
5

I want convert some cellar area in my apartment building to a dwelling unit
I want convert some cellar area in my apartment building to a dwelling unit in NYC, is it possible and how difficult it is to get approval?
1
1