washer/dryer grease

My clothes are getting a strange streak of grease, mostly on the outer edges. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't know if it is the washer, Maytag 7-8 yrs. old or the dryer, gas GE about the same age.
In news: Phyllis typed:

This happened to me a couple years ago. It was an older Maytag washer. I finally called my repair man and he said it was the transmission (if I remember correctly). It wasn't worth fixing. He said to buy a new one. If you have an appliance repair man you trust, you may want to call him for a visit first.
Bonnie