Two questions - Whitening the fridge and painting veneered cupboards?

Hi,
I have a white enamel fridge. Years of smoking has yellowed the colour. I have tried a couple of products and it seems that bleaching creams like Jif and Ajax creams (which include a fine abrasive powder within the cream) work best at whitening the fridge. It says on the bottle of Jif cream cleanser that it can be used on white goods and all non-porous surfaces. Is this the best way to go to bring back as much of the white of the fridge as I can?
I also want to clean very slightly rough textured, matt-finished, veneered cupboard doors. They are next to impossible to clean.
I imagine that the same Jif cream cleanser would clean those too with enough arm power, but what interests me more is to know if veneered cupboard doors can be painted over in a gloss paint to make them easier to clean in future?
Maybe there's another way of making them easier to clean?
Any help is gratefully received.
avril
Might I suggest a solution of tri sodium phosphate (TSP) or the newer non-phosphate TSP (still trying to figure THAT one out)? You should be able to pick this up at any janitorial supply. I know I used it in my mom's trailer with 20+ years of nicotine build up and was absolutely amazed that the walls were a light blond and not an orangey color! (wipe on, wipe off) (I personally recommend a spray solution and rubber gloves)
Later,
Helen C

for the fridge the best thing to use would be automotive finish restorer (in the UK we have a product called T-Cut)
basically you want one that is kind of gritty.
if it'll restore the finish on a car, it'll certainly work on a fridge (and does, I've done it)

Thank you for your help, avril

Try either Fantastik or 409.
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 05:15:44 +1000, "av"

Just wanted to thank 'Hopeless' and Helen C. for you advice. I will take that on board and find those products. Thanks, avril