Steel Wool

Someone told me recently that steel wool has been banned for dishwashing, and that you can't even buy it anymore (evidently because pieces of metal can break off and get in one's food.) It's the first time I've heard of such a thing. Is this true?
I don't know... Wouldn't you rinse your dishes after using it?
: Someone told me recently that steel wool has been banned for dishwashing, : and that you can't even buy it anymore (evidently because pieces of metal : can break off and get in one's food.) It's the first time I've heard of : such a thing. Is this true?

If you listen long enough, you can hear anything. Based on http://www.brillo.com/products /, I'd say the steel wool business is still going strong.
Steel wool is designed for cleanup, not food preparation; so, it only requires a tiny bit of care to avoid contamination.
Personally, I prefer nylon scouring pads. Whatever it takes.