Setee

We have just bought a used sofa which smells of tobacco. Its also dirty, we wouldn't have bought it other than the fact it was cheap and all we could afford. Can anyone help me out and tell me what will get rid of the smell and clean it also. I am in the UK of that helps (re, products)
I watch the house doctor on TV and they use a machine that cleans sofa's. Anyone know what they are?
joy

In America, sofas are long upholstered seats. In the UK, a sofa is what we call an ashtray, I gather. Some Americans wash their ash trays in dishwashing machines.
--
Barbecue Bob serving family-style roast bunny
at convenient restaurants

Here in the UK our long upholstered seats are called sofa's or settee's. I have never heard an ashtray being called a sofa before, was someone pulling your leg perhaps?. I am looking for a way to clean the long upholstered seat, not an ashtray. Thanks Joy
Here in the USA, we use various names for "sofa" depending on the location. Couch, setee, davenport, love seat, and sofa are all the same. There are pressurized cans of upholstery cleaners sold in the automotive section. Most have deodorizers in them. Setting the sofa in full sun for a few hours then using a rug beater will help. Fabreeze is usually a good product for eliminating odors. Another option is to use a slipcover.

Thanks for the help. I cannot possibly do it then. You mentioned putting it out in full sun, did you read the bit where I said I lived in the UK? LOL ; ) I know what you mean though I went to Benidorm once.
Seriously thanks for the help will give it a whirl
Joy

Hi Joy,
Take a look at www.DrClean.co.uk/surgery_cleaning/sofaclean1.asp it starts with a decision making chart and then works through to how to clean a suite.
Hope this helps.