Plastic film carpet protector

I just bought a new truck. Floor mats don't do a lot of good around mud, snow and water. Soon the carpet will be a mess.

I have seen, in model homes, a thin plastic film that looks like a carpet runner but has a slightly sticky backing which holds it in place. I want to cover my truck carpet with this and then put the mats over it. I can then just wipe the floor once in a while or replace the film.

Where can I buy this stuff? Or can you give me some better ideas?

Thanks...

Reply to
Daryl Helwig

I would check Home Depot and the like for the cheapest form of plastic mats or plastic sheeting (dropcloth), and see if you can't also find some double-faced masking tape to stick it down with. The fancy plastic/foam type of double-faced tape will leave permanent foam bits on the truck carpet. Regular tape can be made into 'double-faced' stickies by just rolling into a loop.

Reply to
Frogleg

Hi Daryl

Those carpet runners, at least the ones we used, are nothing more than clear, frosted or matte white Contact Paper bought in commercial sized rolls.

A large commercial sized roll of contact paper costs roughly the same as the small retail packaged roll and you have 10 times more product.

There is also a similar type product sold under the trade name WindRunner, the rolls are much larger and the tacky less tacky than contact paper, but that doesn't mean it's any easier to get up.

TTUL Gary

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Daryl, I have to warn you. That stuff is not meant to be used permanently. It ruins the carpet if you keep it on for an extended period of time and I'm a victim of that. The people before us had put some on a carpeted step entrance to a sunroom. I don't know how long it was there, but the adhesive "melded" with the carpet fibers and made a huge goopy mess that resulted in us replacing the carpet. Kind of like chewing gum in hair. I would imagine that in a hot vehicle it would quickly bond with the fibers.

Go to Menard's or a carpet place and buy some cheap thin carpet that's easy to trim to the shape you need. We got some that's actually made for autos but it might not be available in your area. Use rubber rug grips to hold it in place. Be careful that it doesn't move around or it could interfere with brake, accel and clutch.

-Oldylocks.

Reply to
Oldylocks