ot sort of-- rugs again?

would like to start a thread
people who have had rugs in their homes
would you buy rugs again ?
peter

Rugs - yes. Carpeting - no.

How come?

My experience is like peggo's. I have pets. Although my pets are housebroken, they do track in mud and periodically vomit. I like to garden and tend to track in dirt. About two years ago we did some renovations and removed our very worn and stained carpeting. It was about 6 years old. The dirt and debris beneath it was amazing despite the fact that I ran the sweeper and used the extraction cleaner on it frequently. We replaced all the carpeting with laminate flooring. We then got a couple of large area rugs - one for the living room and one for the dining room. These are areas that get little use and the rugs are used as design elements to anchor and define furniture groupings and for color. I have a runner in the hall and one in the master bedroom. They can be cleaned, removed, and replaced without disrupting the primary flooring material and they can be changed quickly and independently of each other.
The laminate flooring is steam cleaned and dust is easy to completely remove with electrostatic cloths (Swiffer, etc.) Mud and pet accidents can be easily wiped up and the floor can be sanitized. You can never really get carpeting clean. Filth penetrates to the backing and pad and into the subfloor. Carpeting is a breeding ground for mites. When we removed the carpeting, our allergies improved and even the dogs had fewer ear problems.
I posted some pictures at my website: http://tinyurl.com/668gy
sorry should have said carpeting
peter

yep. I agree with Vox. I have lots of pets. When we pulled up that old carpet, I bout puked. Gross. My floors are ceramic tile or wood. Carpet is like throwing a sweater on the floor and walking on it for years and years. Rugs? Rugs are cool. I have lots of rugs and I change them out often.
peggo

I look forward to the day my domicile becomes rug-less.
Phisherman wrote:

In the chase scenes with the convertible in "Smokey and the Bandit", Burt Reynolds' dome would become rugless. The solution was to use a cowboy hat with a chin strap, like Yul Brenner. Nowadays it's okay to wear a cowboy hat in the home, including at dinner and in bed. Nobody needs to buy a rug these days.
Sincerely, Choreboy

Yul Brenner was so cool, he could wear a chin strap. Nothin cool bout Burt Reynolds. hm. Maybe boogie nights. He was kind of a cool asshole. Roller Girl. She was so cool she could wear roller skates.
peggo