Mothball odor in a cedar chest - what to do?

Hey all --
Friend of mine got a cedar chest from her sister, and apparantly the sister kept mothballs in there too. Now the chest reaks of mothballs and she's not sure how to get the smell out.
Any suggestions? Simply "airing it out" hasn't helped, and I haven't a clue what to suggest... my mother suggested lightly sanding the cedar to "release the cedar smell" as she put it. I'm not sure that would get the odor out though... but like I said, I don't know what to suggest.
tia...
--
- Michael
http://www.4naturalcleaning.com

Take the chest outside. Allow the sun to reach the inside of the chest for several hours. Your mother is correct about a light sanding.

For cedar (in a closet or a chest) to really function well for pestproofing clothing, etc. it needs a light sanding on a fairly regular basis (at least every other year if not every year). You only want to just lightly scuff the wood, not take off any noticeable amount - after all, you're not going to paint or varnish it.
Leyf