kids and cleaning is there a way ?

This may be a little off topic but here goes. I know there are clean houses out there with kids but how do they do it. I have a four year old and a six month old baby, and I just can't find enough time to get every thing done and spend time with the kiddos.It seems that every time I start to clean I get called away. The house isn't a total wreck and we are not slobs the problem areas are the kitchen, bathroom and the laundry(every I turn around it grows a foot higher) . Any helpful hints or suggestions on how to make better use of my time would be greatly appreciated. I 'm depending on all the experienced stay at home moms and dads I need help.
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:49:07 -0500, "Crystal"

I've taught many 5-year old children to clean and to clean up after themselves. Show them simple tasks--one way they learn is by mimicking adults. I'm not certain about 4-year old children, but I'm sure they can be taught too. It will pay off for you and your children in the long run. I allow kids to get messy, but I also require them to clean up (and they do a good job of it). Start them off early and it will be easier later on. I am amazed how many adults say "that child can't do that," then the child lives up to that expectation rather than ability.
[On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:49:07 -0500, "Crystal"

Now I'll give you a cynical response...
I don't think it's possible to maintain high standards of cleanliness when you have kids that age. As Phish pointed out, kids can be trained -- up to a point. On the other hand, children are basically a source of gratuitous sound, mess, and violence.
I'd do two things:
- confine them to only certain areas (if you have a basement room, that would be ideal);
- excepting McD's, keep them out of restaurants and all other public places;
- never buy them a computer
Then I'd hire a housekeeper, take three Valium, and buy a dog. The dog will make things so bad that you will be forced to give up.
The really great thing is that is gets worse. Just wait till they get older.
Harry ;)

Sandy