Is Chicago water hard or soft?

Page 2 of 3

The Sears over by me has 20 year olds working there. I hardly think the kids would be capable of giving me accurate data. They don't even have to type anyhting into a cash register or figure out change.

Why not? Have you seen how the test is done? You can watch as they do it and see the reading yourself. Kids that age are not all dummies. For a few bucks, you can buy own kit.

i don't believe they are dummies I think in general they could give a fuck about customer service. So in general at most large retail stores I try to not have to communicate whatsoever with any employee other than the check out girl.
My eyes went all googly to have seen *rsnyder* write this:

I seem to think that, in general, lake water tends to be much "softer" than wellwater which comes from underground (duh), and most, if not all, of Chicago's water comes from Lake Michigan.
Good recommendation to get a pH tester from any fish store. It's very easy to use and they're pretty accurate. One can also get a chlorine tester, too, if one feels the need to test that as well.
I should think that it's never a bad idea to have some sort water filtration, whether in-line or separate, since Rudy knows what's in anyone's water anymore, regardless of its source.
--
The *Original* Captain Ozone

why?
pathogens? taste? something else?
kenji wrote:

Mold.
--
"A man\'s country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and
woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle."

Since you live in Watertown, NY, just wondering if you ever heard of Malone, NY ? Just curious because my dad was raised there and I remember some cold Christmas visits there. I was a product of NYC so Malone was a bit different to me years ago. I wonder what Malone or the like is like nowadays?

Mexicans
<Malone> wrote in message

http://www.maloneny.com / http://www.city-data.com/city/Malone-New-York.html

I did that once. But then I got worried so I had a friend use his urine. We passed.

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

consider it hard.
But who fuck cares. You clean a shower head with a cup of vinegar. It takes like 5 minutes.
why the hell anybody would waste time "testing" the water is beyond me.
Cydrome Leader wrote:

Because it's not about just a shower head, if you have hard water it lowers the life span of hot water heaters, dish washers and washing machines. Also you end up spending more on soap and cleaning products.

Ah, if you have hard water, it's cheaper to install a whole system water softener than to get a new $200 water heater every few decades?
Sorry, my mistake.

It's not just the water heater: hard water builds up scale inside your pipes. After a few decades, they clog up and your entire house needs to be re-plumbed.
So yeah. it's cheaper in the long run to install a water softener.
--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that
the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

you pipes clog shut in 30 years?
you might want to try something thicker than 1/4 tubing.

They can if you have hard water. Which Lake Michigan water is not.
--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that
the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
Bob
Bob F wrote:

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/webportal/portalContentItemAction.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@1582703908.1163202313@@@@&BV_EngineID ccaddjfmgdihkcefecelldffhdfgm.0&contentOIDS6922522&contenTypeName=COC_EDITORIAL&topChannelNamept&blockName=Water%2FI+Want+To&contextpt&channelId=0&programId=0&entityName=Water&deptMainCategoryOID= Not a word about hardness in there. Daley said "hardly" once, though.
--
"A man\'s country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and
woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle."

OK. Google chacago water hardness.
Second choice is http://www.dpwc.org/faqprint.htm .
Where does our water come from? The DuPage Water Commission's water comes from Lake Michigan, the largest freshwater lake in the United States and the fifth largest lake in the world. The Commission purchases the water from the Chicago Water Department.
How hard is my water and should I use a water softener? Dissolved minerals make water hard; as the amount of minerals in the water increases, the water becomes harder. Two common minerals found dissolved in drinking water are calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate. There is usually much more calcium carbonate than magnesium carbonate present in water; therefore, water hardness is reported as the amount of calcium carbonate (CaCO3) dissolved in the water. There are two units of measurement for hardness commonly used in the United States, grains per gallon and milligrams per liter calcium carbonate (mg/L as CaCO3). The conversion factor is 17.1 mg/L as CaCO3 = 1 grain per gallon. Our water is about 8 grains per gallon or 137 mg/L as CaCO3. Average well water hardness is 55 grains per gallon or 941 mg/L as CaCO3.

I dont know about the water but I heard most of the Chicago man are SOFT !!!!