Good ways to clean a tub

What are some good ways to clean a tub? With the least amount of effort. I have seen that ammonia works? But I dont know how safe it is?

Berlin Brown

Berlin Brown

It really doesn't take much effort. Some cleanser and a sponge. Or one of those "magic erasers".

Reply to
Karen Newton

I apply a bathroom foaming spray to the tub and allow it to work for a few hours. Then I scrub the sides and bottom with a nylon brush dipped in household ammonia. I do this quickly while holding my breath and with the bath fan on, then rinse with cold water. The ammonia fumes can be irritating to the mucous membranes. Once a week keeps it shining. I also use an after-shower spray everyday. Household ammonia is hazardous when mixed with bleach, otherwise it is safe, cheap, and an effective cleaner.

Reply to
Phisherman

Depends on how dirty/what kind of dirt/finish of tub.

Baking soda is a mild abrasive, harmless to most surfaces, and will remove mild soap scum & water deposits. It rinses away completely, and has no fumes or strong chemicals. That's what I have used for years on porcelain, glass doors & fiberglass. But I stopped using bar soaps

20+years ago, so we don't get soap scum buildup anymore.

If the scum isn't too bad, then the foamy spray types work pretty good without too much elbow grease.

Recently I needed to clean a fiberglass shower with years of scum accumulation left by a lazy homeowner. I tried all manner of cleaners, until I finally used a lye-based oven cleaner of all things. I let it set for about 20 minutes, then scrubbed with a brush & rinsed. Worked like a charm.

Note: Do NOT get oven type cleaners on metal, glass or porcelain surfaces. It will damage them permanently. Also beware the fumes.

Reply to
nobody

Ok, thanks a lot

Berlin Brown

Berlin Brown

It depends on what kind of tub...and what kind of grime you are talking about. If it is a cast iron painted tub, and you have water/rust/lime stains on it...I would use Lime Away toilet bowl cleaner carefully on it...If it has soap scum on it, I would use Scrub Free on it. It may take a couple of applications, but spray it on, let it work and then scrub it off. DON'T use the Lime Away toilet bowl cleaner on fixtures. I also have great success with Bar Keepers Friend for just about any scrubbing job that you don't want scratches on. Good luck! P.S...for regular maintenance, I use liquid laundry soap when I clean bathtubs for homes I work in. It leaves them really clean and with a shine.

Berl> What are some good ways to clean a tub? With the least amount of

Reply to
B McGee

Reply to
B McGee