Cleaning Kitchen stove

Hello, I am going to clean my kitchen stove. It has blacked burned stuff over it. I remember seeing someone on the Tony Danza show a few months ago telling about homemade stuff or stuff that you can get for cheap to clean kitchen, bathroom, etc. She mentioned mixing baking powder(Arm and Hammer ?) with some liquid? I can't remember what it was,but something very common? Lemon juice? Not sure. Does anyone know what it might be or what common liquid is mixed with baking powder to remove tough stains from stoves? Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

and it gets everything off. I also use dish soap....it is the best grease cutter around...something like Dawn works wonders
On 21 Dec 2006 17:52:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Are you sure it was baking powder? A common kitchen cleaner is a mixture of baking soda and water. For baked-on food, apply a paste mixture, allow it to rest for an hour, then wipe off. For tuff residue you can put a wet paper towel over the paste then wipe clean the following morning. Dawn dishwashing liquid (or household ammonia) will cut grease.