Cleaning horizontal mini blinds.

Later this month, as part of a lead paint abatement procedure, I will have to remove and clean 32 sets of heavily soiled, horizontal mini blinds. I will have two days to accomplish the task. At this point, I plan to agitate them in a tub of detergent solution, and hose them off. I'd be grateful for any suggestions on a more efficient method.

As it happens, the blinds don't have to come out perfect, but I have to have them back in place by the end of the day.

Thank you. Michael

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

The only blinds I've had to clean are for double windows. I've taken them out to the driveway - let them out as far as they will go - in the closed position and cleaned with hot soapy water. Then rinsed with hose. Turn them over,turn the slats to the "other" position - do the same with them.

Take old towels and wipe them off as best I can then take them in the house and let them "drip dry" in place.

If your blinds will fit in the tub that may be easier.

Dorothy

Reply to
Dorot29701

to remove and clean 32

accomplish the task. At this

them off. I'd be grateful for

have them back in place by

=== I spray mine with 409 then rinse. That's it. If you have a towel bar over the tub that you can hang them on it will be much easier. Also helpful is a handheld shower head (these can be very inexpensive). === ===

Reply to
gini52

remove and clean 32

accomplish the task. At this

off. I'd be grateful for

That's a lot of windows. You might find it easer to replace some of them, rather than cleaning them all. When we moved into our current house two years ago, quite a few of the metal miniblinds were hopelessly bent. For single width windows, replacement vinyl miniblinds were only about $4 each at WalMart.

Reply to
jamie

Jamie, I had actually considered that. I think I'll take a look at WalMart; only now, I won't feel like I'm nuts! :-). Thanks!

"A lot of windows." Yes. This is a 1906 house, with four major rooms on each level. Each of those rooms have four windows; each window is about thirty inches wide and about six feet high.

I'm going to experiment next week, to see what sort of results I can get.

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

remove and clean 32

accomplish the task. At this

off. I'd be grateful for

them back in place by

I bought a long plastic planter that fits my blinds. I use laundry soap, household ammonia, and warm water to soak the blinds for a half hour, then use a _soft_ brush to loosen the dirt if necessary. Rinse in cool water and hang up to drip dry (a clothes line works well).

Reply to
Phisherman

That is a perfect idea! I like to clean mine outside, but never had anything wide enough to soak them in. Thank you.

Cindy

Reply to
teleflora