"...What once seemed special now looks rote..."

"Too few museums undertake a deep inquiry that combines an insightful designer with museum leadership that knows what it wants. Whether a design is subdued or extroverted will emerge from an open-minded consideration of growth that teases out what's unique about the collections, setting and city. "

Yeah, either that or a completely arbitrary, preconceived notion, based on what attracted tourists to another city somewhere, and reused in toto from another project built on an entirely different site.

Michael Bulatovich

often ending up with difficulty enjoying art on a pedestrian level in a vast brutalist waste of space.

Reply to
++

At a all-night arts festival it was interesting to watch crowd dynamics in front of 'the crystal' if you can still call it that....the sidewalk was packed and the crowd almost at a standstill. The cops even put barricades in the curb lane of the street to devote it to pedestrians, but the people/square meter dropped off as you approach the front door of that thing. If you wanted to walk freely you had to 'risk' walking under it. I did it, and felt a distinct, visceral sense of unease, which I had to consciously overcome. Right up against it, the sidewalks were *clear*. While not "Capital B" "Brutalist", it's making the some of the same mistakes as many buildings from that period did. History is cyclical.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I don't think that elements have to be metal to be brutal. Spatial elements, as you desribed, that are austere and distancing are brutal, too.

Reply to
++

Capital B Brutalism is know for the heavy massing of poured concrete and, to a lesser degree, masonry and precast. Exposed metals were not part of the palette: too thin.

Michael Bulatovich

I wasn't referencing I think I named everything brutalist during a certain period in the 90s, that seeemed to me dehumanist and heartless and lacking any reference to nayure, classicl elements or any romantic notion, color or texture. A lot of this kind of architecture went beyond mid century brutalism to kind of impose some kind of ugly asthetic. There is an office building in DC crowned, literally, with a kind of spiky , nasty metal crown, the kind that looks conceived to impale large birds of prey. Neobrutalist buildings love the use of steel. Lloyd's is an example:

An example of an interior, more what I was talking about:

So large a space for so little art:

junkpile approach:

++

'Ugly' has been 'the new beauty' before. For me 'brutalist' or 'brutalism' is a 'reserved namespace' so when you use them my mind goes to "béton brut"

Private money too, well, sort of...

heheh A classic "Architectural Photography" shot. "HELLLLLOOOO?" ..."Helllllooo?".......'helllloooo?'.....helloo? Since there's no one around, how about a rousing game of paintball?

I wonder if the building glows red and yellow like the model in real life.....

How's that for a completely fresh approach to windows and doors, eh?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

m'=20

Of course, which is why I posted the Alice quote

Reply to
++

"Michael Bulatovich" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

*That* is supposed to look like a crystal? A crystal *what*? Crystals are not just haphazard jumples of this shape and that shape. They are expressions of *molecular order*.

This looks to me more like someone took a crystal, and threw it against a wall.

Reply to
Kris Krieger