The most popular number in architecture

We all did Fibonacci sequences in High School, if not earlier. Without a clue, I don't click. What are you getting at here?

Reply to
++

Those days before CAD I used a compass to bisect squares to get the golden rectangle. I have no idea intuitively how you would have used .7071 other than to surmise it is .618 rounded up perhaps? Why mess around then and why .7071?

Reply to
clintonG

Perhaps it's your own aesthetic.

Reply to
Señor Popcorn

That's very interesting. There's a gazillion numerical "coincidences" and "tricks" that can be learned or discovered eh? BTW -- I'm a running dimensional guy myself. I'm 54 and got trained in the ways of the old school.

Reply to
clintonG

The worst "exposition" on Golden that I've ever seen.

Reply to
gruhn

Why get contrained by a golden mean? Consider that God, in his wisdom might have put flower petals in a fibonacci sequence, but each one of those items in golden means is different. God is, indeed, in the details and so is his wisdom, not only in some set , gakh, formulaic way of thinking on things. Doesn't mean you should necessarily ignore decent proportions but, sometimes devolving or evolving them is fun

Reply to
++

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

I recognize that number right way, except I used 2.414...

If I had a bay or turret I wanted to be 14' wide I divided 14 by 2.414 and got the long side, the balance halfed was right angle dims of the 45 deg sides !

Reply to
Ron