Stupid footer question

Page 2 of 2

consider doing an FPSF "Frost Protected Shallow Foundation" where you are basically doing a flat slab but you place rigid insulation on teh outside face of the foundation and then a foot or so below grade you lay more rigid insulation in a horizontal position and extending out a few feet around the entire perimeter of the foundation
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/fpsf / http://oikos.com/esb/43/foundations.html
An excellent design guide in pdf format: http://www.toolbase.org/PDF/DesignGuides/revisedFPSFguide.pdf

Didn't you know that this is a question that you have to ask your engineer????? He would design the footing correctly and the correct size.
CID..

How do you know the OP requires an engineer for a garage where he is? His is a question, yours is an assumption.
<snip>

Now that you got that off your chest do you have a real answer?
If I could afford an engineer I wouldn't be asking this here and since buildings have been built for quite a long time before there were engineers I expect that with the right input I can get by without one now.
Bill

Does that mean that you are supposed to get a permit and you won't, or that one is not required?