Roof tiles made of paper?

Saw TV footage of a chopper air-lifting Katrina victims off a roof, but where the down thrust from the chopper was stripping the roof of its tiles.
Are these tiles made of paper soaked in tar or similar?
Why are they used in areas subject to hurricanes if choppers can blow them off?
o8TY wrote:

Those are regular roofing shingles. Why are they used? Because they're cheap to buy and a lot of those homes are in pretty poor areas.
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 15:20:36 GMT

Excellent idea. You stay where you are. I'll stay here in the south.
To quote the great H.I. McDonnough "and never the t'wain shall meet".
On 1 Sep 2005 12:30:25 -0700

Cato,
It's just dangerous down there. Every year with the hurricanes. You know?
Sorry, I just value "living" over a period of time, instead of just "living it up" for a short duration.
Trying to be sensible.
SG
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:46:33 GMT

That's the thinking which is why all of these people in New Orleans are still there, ...they did NOT evacuate as requested to because they feel they were going to be OK because just this
"for 40 years, went through 4

This one was different for them, now unfortunately ..some of them, cannot "live through it".
SG

LOL
I trust that your Mansions that took a licking, are still standing!
-- R'zenboom

I'm from NJ; lived in the North (Milwaukee, Toronto, Vancouver), liven in the SOuth (S.Carolina, MD, southern CA).
Can't take the North. Can't stand the Winters anymore.
Cold can also kill ya if ya aren't prepared for it or don't have the $$ to pay for heating.
Have to be prepared for your chosen environment. Problem is that it takes time, thought, proper desigin/engineering, and you get <GASP!> less square- footage for the same proce, for the added safety measures.
So it's a lottery, a gamble. One toss of the dice, and cheaper solutions work out just fine. but a different toss of the dice, and you're house is under water, burned down to the nubs, shaken apart, or whatever.
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 23:43:19 GMT

Kris,
So true, how was Vancouver? What years were you there?
-R

I was there about 5 years, moved to CA just after 9/11.
I did not like it there. Not just because of the climate but that was a major issue to me.
I like Houston better.
Take it FWLIW.