Rednecks

Page 1 of 2
I did a newsgroup search for "redneck" and came up with 10 groups, all of them completely dead. Even spammers are barely hitting them. I know they're out there somewhere....
Some other links:
Most informative: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck
Click once on the navigation on this one: http://www.redneckworld.com /
This one's for jojo: http://www.redneckengineering.com /
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

According to http://www.whitetrashwarehouse.com "redneck" is merely a specialization of "white trash."
There are plenty of web pages with information on white trash. One that has an architectural emphasis is bttp://www.drbukk.com/gmhom/park.html .

hehe I enjoyed that, but I was looking for a newsgroup for rednecks. You're in those hills near Oak Ridge aren't you? Do you get a lot of rednecks up there? ; )
Did you hear that they are evicting a bunch of people from a trailer park near *Square One*? http://www.thestar.com/News/article/209047
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Look no further than yur own surname, Bulatovic'. Many Serbs and Montenegrins with your surname were born and raised and still exist in primitive villages not as evolved as yer basic American redneck territory..
Maybe you're related? Google Miodrag Bulatovic, Kosta Bulatovic, Branko Bulatovic, Pavle Bulatovic - good, bad, ugly and even esteemed.

Don't I know it. IINM the name grew from a single progenitor in a specific place several hundred years ago, so ostensibly everyone with the name is in some way related.

Your point? We're not all the same? Phew! <wipes brow sarcastically>
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

They all grew up in small villages

Oh. I think I see your point. My father's ancestors were probably rednecks of a sort. ( I haven't met one.) Of that I have little doubt, but it doesn't make me too uncomfortable. I'm equally certain that some of my ancestors were chimps, and I don't identify with either group. My heart belongs to the mighty Lower Don, and the Leafs of course. (Go Sens!)
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

It souldn't make you uncomfortable. I like village people and village wisdom

I sing songs from the lower Don

and of course, am not Canadien

"The Maple Leaf Forever"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maple_Leaf_Forever http://www.louisbourg.ca/music/themapleleafforever.mp3
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

http://russia-in-us.com/Music/Collections/Zingg/k_jubil.htm http://www.singers.com/choral/doncossackchoir.html http://www.a-cappella.com/product/6377/classical-russian http://home.hetnet.nl/~gabby-pat/music.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Cossacks
even a local group: http://www.slavicmalechorus.org /
hmm, Rostov na Donu, where to find a weblink?.....heh...webcam...yes
http://rnd.ru/webcam /

That's a Don of a different color.
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Precisely, and that was the original joke.

Russkaya musika, woo-hoo! :)
Kris Krieger wrote:

eh, somebody almost got it. Actually, I do a lot of Russian music but I was referring to Cossack music. Whether Cossacks are RUssians is a matter of opinion. Certainly, they have always been multiethnic since they were considered as Cossacks.

OK, thanks :) !
I haven't used my Russian for so long, since '91 really, so I'm forgetting almost all of it =:-(

Michael Bulatovich wrote:

http://rnd.ru /
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

I'm related to a fami8ly that is literally like that, and by this century it is also interracial, making it ever more interesting.

Actually, I pulled all the posts because I do know that mostly all Bulatovici are related, so you are responding to something that was only up for a couple minutes. I had thought, well, that's kind of personal, so I pulled the posts.
I posted what I did and negatively reacted because I don't generally like to make fun of people and cultures if I am not a part of them. Sometimes you have to take a close look instead of engage in a dismissive jocular generalization.
ex.What's it like to be a part of an antique American culture where the men grow one fingermail about 8-12" long because it is emblemmatic of having to work for a living with one's hands, even if all the men in that specific cultural grou work with their hands? In the specific subset of redneck culture to which I refer, men and women do intricate English country dancing from a few centuries ago that has otherwise disappeared. Sometimes there are unique cultural aspects worthy of preservation within cultural groups easy to generalize. Takes a keen eye.

How do you "pull a post"? Do you mean on the Google Groups interface? I thought that once it's posted it's posted.

So you regret it? That's an interesting imperative you declare. When does a grouping become a culture that is worthy of that kind of respect? How long does that take, etc.? Cultures come and cultures go. I can't think of one that doesn't have blood on it's hands. They certainly aren't sacred.
Finally, there's the presumption that you can't make fun of another group. It's PC, but that one I don't buy. Those outside the group are the *first* to recognize it's foibles. Everybody could be seen as part of such a group, so we should all keep our sense of humor handy. Our situation is absurd.

Do you mean *not* working with your hands?

I'm having trouble putting theses pieces together. Can you elaborate?

With 'sometimes' at the front of that sentence I have no issue with it, since it permits one to argue, depending on the specifics and one's objective, for their eradication. (Aspects, not groups.)
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Cancel a past through an nntp reader. I use Thunderbird, which is free and an nntp service.

Why does a culture have to be sacred to be worthy of preservation. I can't think of any culture without some cultural artifact or person unworthy of of its preservation. I'm in favor of helpng languages live instead of be eclipsed and die, traditional arts being taught to even one more generation, dances being learned and enjoyed, etc. I don't think that cultures need be genetic.

Absurdity is a part of the human condition. So is its opposite.

No, I mean not defining the work one does as necessarily by one's hands, and as not necessarily rough enough to not allow one fingernail to grow free..

There is a real living so-called redneck culture in which all men in it grow one fingernail super long, most of the men do pre-18thc. English country dancing. the first aspect of this little culture could be expected, as just another one of those strange readneck things, the second aspect not so expected.

in otherwise apparently low value cultural groups.

evidently the last half of the sentence disappeared

Didn't know you could do that. So if I were to use another reader and go to the group, that message would no longer be on the server?

Sacred is just hyperbole. I've got nothing against languages and arts, but I do with ignorance and hatred. If those are defining components of a 'culture' or 'way of life', then I have no problem if it were to perish. IOW, they're not all worth saving, especially the ones that are trying to destroy yours. If it's going to be a zero-sum, I'll take the sum.

Similar intent.

Any links? It's not Morris dancing you're citing, is it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_dance

That changes everything.