Re: Nepal Village Story

Satyanarayan Mandal and Hemlata

> Chaudhary had been in love for six years.

Apparently in a culture that, much like many across time and space, place very little value on the quaint modern Western value.

The only problem was that > Satyanarayan was a Dalit, while Hemlata came from an upper caste.

AdvocacyNet needs better writers.

Reply to
gruhn

Advocacy Net brings individual people from college or business to a foreign country where they get to know some issue and think of ways to advocate it or to at least discuss the issue with the people involved in it. The level of the English reports across countries and subject matter is obviously uneven as is even the relative value of the issues. When I first started posting these Advocacy Net updates, it was by accident since some of the country issues of the organization coincided with interests of some of the individuals on another newsgroup or two where I regularly write. Then it occurred to me that there is a kind of general awareness level that is necessary to architects, planners and designers that is helped along by considering some of the issues ancillary to architecture, planning and design such as homelessness, marginalization, temporary housing and housing in non traditional and inadequate structures.

It was interesting to note how long it took people on this group to understand the basics of the Dale Farm issue, a long standing Advocacy Net project, that ownership of land already determined was compromised over the marginalization of the people who inhabited that land to which they had rights. Sometimes it takes the intersection of a lot of related ideas and ideals to begin to comprehend an issue.

Like I begin to write on over a year ago, nomadic architecture is no less an architectural form, and perhaps even a better design form than architecture in temporary to permanent situ, and, as I have mentioned, I have a library that reflects that interest and understanding. Right now, in the US, there is less opportunity right to conduct a nomadic lifestyle than there was when I was a child, which was less than when my parents were children, and less than my grandparents. In an American culture that celebrates its nomadic past in terms of Europeans "settling" through nomadic behaviors in its colonial periods (which last through much of the 19th century in this case), you can't just plop down the tent in the national park, nor sometimes even reside in a van or car without special fees and licenses and a lot of observation. Making a campfire these days requires a certain amount of planning. One can still barbecue but one can't burn leaves in my county, for example.

Meanwhile, public gathering of any kind, but especially by people who plan on living at their demonstration or temporarily, as become difficult in an era of instant homelessness. I saw people living on the Mall in Washington for Civil Rights in my lifetime, partly in the mud, and yet this could not be accomplished today.

Architects, planners and designers can no longer live in a patron vacuum where it can be expected that patrons with money will fuel the majority of housing and public and private building. As the 20th century began with builders that had some design, it ended with the architect being ignored for most residential work, a lot of residential work going to design build if not the builders themselves. There is replication all over the community design profession. One can't go to a place that sells plants without encountering one or another version of a landscape designer while landscape design commissions themselves are few and far between for registered landscape architects. One can't go to a place that sells cabinetry without encountering someone who is willing to measure and design your kitchen and bath with the ergonomics of the fifties and the cachets of the seventies. While some credentials have multiplied (ex. CDK in the kitchen and bath industry), the use of registered AEs has been compromised in hiring for a plethora of residential jobs.

Meanwhile, designer, architects and planners have adaptive reuse and thinking outside the box skills. Why not apply them to planning and designing a lot more than buildings and products. Why not keep the brain wide open to how to serve?

Reply to
++

Yeah, the AP "reporting" of its own pet project was pretty weak. I believe my first post consisted of a variety of possible views and understandings.

I continue to consider any AP postings as grossly distorted incompetently reporting propoganda.

Yes, you make up fights that aren't there and you own books. I remember.

Because the question as stated is already closed.

Reply to
gruhn