Question on construction

I have seen a few posts on chimneys recently in this group.
What is the general rule on chimneys in terms of height ?
How much higher than the roof do they have to be ? Can they be in line with the roof ?
Is there a law on this ? especially in N. California ?
Thanks Jessica
jessica10x> wrote

The top of the chimney flue must be 3' higher than any portion of roof within a 10' radius of said flue. SW FL *rule*.
On 19 Jan 2007, Don wrote

And a bloody good basic rule, too -- not one of those desk-generated jobs, that one.
(It's odd how homeowners who want to build fires sometimes want to minimise the uncomfortable fact that fires and chimneys are.....hot. go figure, 'n' all that.)
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian

That, plus if chimney is within 3m (10') of the peak it has to be .6m (2') above the peak. Canadian rule. :-)
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

What sort of chimney? Different rules can apply.
The International Residential Code requires a chimney height above the roof plane penetration of three feet, and the top must be two feet higher than any roof surface within ten feet (measured horizontally, not along the roof line). I'm not sure if your area uses the UBC or the IRC so call your local building department for verification.
If you're talking about a prefab metal chimney follow the manufacturer's sizing charts for flue sizing. If you're planning a masonry chimney and fireplace follow the guidelines for flue size, firebox and throat dimensions to insure an efficient draft.
BTW, there's a two question limit to newbie posting. Your post had _five_ ? marks. That's far over the limit. Normally there'd be stiff penalties, but hey, I'm on Grand Jury duty this month and I'm feeling magnanimous. No fine this time, but you'll have to offer three answers to correct the imbalance.