Oh my...

Great stuff, but it looks a tad boletus.

o8TY the fungi.

Reply to
o8TY

"gruhn" wrote in news:il7Qe.37$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

Bout could something like that be built? I'd thought that a "lentil on a pillar" might be good for withstanding violent storms.

c.f.

In this house (named "Serenity" FWIW) "flows" to the ground using what seem to be buttress-like structures, so I wonder, would a simple "stalk" be too prone to breakage/collapse.

Maybe an "extended mushroom"...i.e. with anchors/supports/ties sunk deep into the ground.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news:lzKQe.3857$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Yup.

I've seen; the stairs and garage doors, tho', were designed to break away, so as to reduce the resistance - IOW, if the water and wind could flow through/around, the overall structure would be less likely to collapse.

You're right about the "scoop" - form *over* function? Or maybe a trade- off - overhang to reduce insolation. I seem to recall they used the "high- test" window glazing (?lexan layered with glass?).

It's basically "bullet resistant glass", isn't it?

Also, tho', if it's a frame house, with just some siding over styrofoam (as is so often seen used rather than even plywood or that "stringboard", forgot the technical name) - it seems to be weird to worry over the windows since the house itself couldn't withstand the hurricane.

Which is the root of my curiosity re: concrete shell or other concrete or block structures.

Still wondering about the mushroom, tho'. I'm thinking the pillar might be too vul;nerable, but I suppose it'd depend upon how it's engineered.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Don't know anything about the topic, but these are two different criteria.

Reply to
gruhn

wouldn't tempering make it too brittle for the purpose?

-- R'zenboom

Reply to
zenboom

"Don" wrote in news:JdMQe.3904$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

[ re: dome house that survived hurricane in Pensacola, FL ]

Oh! See, this is something I hadn't known of. Interesting.

Oh, um, yeah, I guess that *could* be rather a nuisance...

Geez, how many times a day does your head spin, 'cuz that makes *my* head spin. ((But no flying pea soup at least.))

HOLY COW! So if you double-paned it, that sould be both pretty safe, and energy-efficient...?

It'd be really expensive, tho' - I was looking at tinted panels to put over the 4 42"X71" windows in the back of this place (all windows are single- pane), and it would cost something like $140 to $170-something *per pane*.

So one has to budget and plan carefully.

I'll have to remember to google that to find the ballpark cost figures.

Advantage - the house would also be bulletproof. ((I know, I have a "thing" about that. I just have a paranoia about being hit by stray bullets.))

I guess that's true. OTOH, given the proportions shown in the image (or the general proportions of what is generalyl taken to be a mushroom shape), I'm not clear on how workable it would be. I suppose a cylinder of thick- walled reinforced concrete might work?

Some things that seem to be intuitive, are not; and some things that don't seem to be intuitive, are - but in this case, I'm not sure I can tell the difference.

OTOH the Mushroom seems to be in interesting idea - especially in terms of maximum utilization of lot size. The area under the thing could be shaded patio space and shade-garden space, esp in hotter climates.

I'll have to think about this...

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"gruhn" wrote in news:3fNQe.91$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

I was thinking that both are similar in that they're glass laminated with plastic. But I don;t know what differences there may be in the composition of the materials, the number of layers, and so on. Not even sure which has more force per square inch (or millimeter or any other measurement)...

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"zenboom" wrote in news:df1g4p$6k1$ snipped-for-privacy@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net:

Brittle...?

I had taken out some shower doors (from a hous we'd owned of course) and tried to break them up to put some parts into the recycle bin, and reuse some of the glass.

I tried cutting it with a stained glass cutter - barely made any mark at all.

I whacked it with a hammer.

I then whacked it woth a sledehammer (a full-sized one).

I set one end on bricks and jumped up and down on it.

It never broke.

Reply to
Kris Krieger