high school architecture

Hi
I am kind of disturbed by the number of ugly school being built. I understand that some of it is a function of cost, but some buildings are really out there. I love the school in my town: (not a good pic of it)
http://schoolsite.capturepoint.com/assets/resources/frontlawn11.jpg
Are there schools being built today that still have some traditional beauty in them?
Thanks
acprkit wrote:

American tax dollar payfor:
http://www.edfacilities.org /
Ask them. Post their responses.

It is ALL a function of cost at this point. One more skylight means one less student to support, using brick means one less classroom for your school. Each student is equal to a certain amount of funding so they need to maximize the amount of students. Not to mention the ADA sucks up a large portion of the budget. It is not feasible to build schools like they used to because education is last on the list in this country, behind things like a strong military.
FYI, I work at a firm that does nothing but design schools, and this is how it is. If you want nicer places for your kids to go to school, tell your representative to put more money into them. Even then, the mentality of getting more and more children into a school kills the aesthetics every time.
--
Edgar

Didn't someone just quote the 'form follows function' dictum around here?

Yeah, but he forgot to mention that "curb appeal" is a legitimate function.

Yeah, but then form *is* function. Then form follows form, and then we're back to the Mannerists. (Thank God.)

They NEVER look at long term costs...EVER. Everything is in the here and now because funding only looks at the here and now.
--
Edgar

What I meant to say after all that is to add the qualifier "now" don't know how it was done back then, you're probably right.
--
Edgar