First attempt...

1) Goofy eyeball effect in perspective...might what to change your FOV settings. 2) Seems like the line weights are a bit heavy... something I've struggled with in Sketchup, too. One setting is too light, the other is two heavy with no option for in-between.

Nice clouds...

Reply to
3D Peruna

Here is my first attempt at the rendering technique I posted about for sketchup. It is the school that was posted earlier, though we've changed some things. I took a nice eye level shot to do it. Critiques welcome.

Night_Seer

Yeah I was following the guide he made word for word, but its come to my attention from the forums that making a high rez export is MUCH better for line weights. You can make the high rez export then just make it smaller in photoshop.

I think your right about the fish eye thing, even the boss felt it kind of odd. Need to adjust that FOV.

Thanks for the comments (I just noticed my cloud didn't go through in one spot right in the center :) )

Reply to
Night_Seer

I used to tell the kids "You can go to seventy degrees if you really have to. But Himself doesn't really like the way it looks."

_IF_ you want to "improve" it, you can get some milage out of lowering the camera target point to the same height as the camera. This makes a two point perspective which tends to look a little less whacky.

Adequate solution.

I notice that there's a regular beat to many of the lines. I don't think it's on purpose. Do you know where it comes from? Can it be made to go away?

If you want to show the whole thing with narrower FOV you have to back up but then you lose the space. It's an annoying trade-off. Maybe someday I'll have better understanding of how to work a solution. I wonder if a pano renderer or a cylindrical lens or some such would help.

Now that you mention it, same "place" on the left too.

With that sky, I wouldn't expect those windows.

Now that I've been looking for a while, the sky seems low. Like the bits I'm looking at should be higher up in the sky. That's getting in to nit picking territory.

Reply to
gruhn

Not sure either. I used a ripple filter on the underlying colors layer (no lines, just color washes), and then turned on the jitter setting for the actual linework.

Actually there is an FOV setting in the camera menu right below the perspective selection, backup and then adjust that and viola no more white space. Is this what your referring to?

Not sure how to handle that one. I could brush in my own faux reflected clouds, but I hate doing any kind of drawing with mice.

As for the sky being to low, I chose dome clouds from a picture, and went at them with filters. I should have taken more of the ones in the far off perspective in the picture, than the ones up close, because the ones show would have been cut off at the top. I'll work on that one.

Reply to
Night_Seer

I mean the sense of space. With the camera forward like that you see the yard as a yard; how it goes back and behind to the right. When you back off you get a degree of telephoto effect which is generally flattening and well as the buildings don't "physically" wrap around the viewer. With the original, the space of the courtyard is there. The further you back up, the more you have to project your mind into and essentially mentally create the space.

Where does the window color come from? It might have a button.

Exactement! The ones you took are PRETTY though.

Reply to
gruhn

The color comes from Sketchup, so basically I chose it. I wonder if a darker color would look better.

Reply to
Night_Seer

Got Photoshop? The "replace color" tool ROCKS. Use that to determine a possible target.

Suggest lower saturation. Darker if you've got glass like that. For something generic yet fake, try lighter. Sun is over right shoulder kinda low but not so low the light is colored? Try the pale cyan, maybe some notches down from full brightness.

Or pink.

Reply to
gruhn

Pretty sure it's rectangular and that's just the wide angle view. Non-spherical perspective behaves that way.

See the ground is green. OD.

Not a bad club to join. My only problem is that nobody wants to spend the money anymore to make it look good. "Well, we were thinking more of a manufactured metal building but you could throw some Frankish stucco work on it, yeah?"

Reply to
gruhn

Its a school, there is no money to spend :).

Reply to
Night_Seer