Latest threads in Architecture and Designshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

OT - math meets sculpture
THis is where talking about weird little buildings took me: the Sculpture Generator: ;) Collins Sculptures Index of /~sequin/GEN/Sculpture Generator
6
6

Re: Blu-ray
IBM showed a proof of concept, that's all. Anything else you want to warn us about, maybe about the sky falling, Chicken Little? :)~ R News and opinion from The Times & The Sunday Times
10
10

I wonder why designers skimp on things
I mean why would you omit a fireplace in the master bedroom. I wouldn't live like that! Image Hosting, Image Upload, Picture Hosting
8
8

Stupid footer question
Ok, here comes the stupid footer question of the month. I've been researching info on constructing a garage and know that I have to have a footer below the frost line, which in my neck of the...
24
24

"good chance for .net & java professionals"dont miss!!
DEAR CANDIDATES, JAVA & .NET DEVELOPERS We are young entrepreneurs in the field of Information Technology and have pleasure to introduce ourselves to you for valued co-operation and esteemed order. We...

Adding insualtion/thermal mass?
I'm not sure whatehr this is a Q. for here, or the Building Construction NG. What I started wondering about was this: It's often said that Thermal Mass, esp. high-mass in the walls, is one of...
4
4

FA Japanese Homes Architecture Design rare 1st. 1885
Japanese Homes & Their Surroundings,Illustrated by Edward S Morse US Boston 1885, Ticknor & Company. Blue decorated cloth, very good, 372p., top edge gilt,, 307 b.w. illustrations in the text by the...

Camp Construction
My son's group won the design phase of a design/build competition at his tech school. Now the teams have to build their buildings, per the design. He has a nuumber of problems and I don't know...
5
5

Need help with garage design
I'm trying to get together a design for a 1 1/2 bay free standing garage and I need a couple of questions either answered or directions on where to go to get the answers (I've been told where...
4
4

"Jean Nouvel is awarded the 2008 Pritzker Architecture Prize"
The French architect is praised for his 'insatiable' creative experimentation. One of his designs, the 'green blade,' is in the planning for Century City.

Floorplan Input
Hi I'm trying to integrate my 16' high foyer with the 12' areas around it. I think a hard drop from 16' to 12' going into the kitchen area may look a little harsh. The area over...
19
19

Aren't architectural works now primarily an expression of the architect's ego more than anything else?
Once upon a time, wasn't it more about an expression of a culture's values?
4
4

"1001 Buildings You Must See Before You Die"
Used Book in Good Condition

What is a res bar?
I work in an architectural practice and have heard the term 'res bar' mentioned quite a few times recently. I'm assuming it's related to sound and the dampening of, in a wall. Does...
2
2

Mortgage market going to heck
The house behind me was foreclosed upon and went for auction today (bank auction, not tax auction). Guess who picked it up for pretty reasonably !!!! Gee, maybe I'll start liking all of this...
4
4