Woodcraft vs Rockler

On 10/27/2016 11:17 PM, OFWW wrote:

If you want good you will have to pay for it.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Even the regular Freud bits hold up well. I've been using some of mine for 15+ years but their carbide bits are supposed to be fantastic.

Excellent article. I would have loved to have had that "installer bit" when I was working. I found the section on bit coatings to be particularly true when working with metals of all types.
It is the wood stuff that is my short comings, but their article was great on this, even has the links built in.
Thanks for the great find.
HF has brad bits, and coated bits that are cheap and work well. At least for the money. I've bought them as throw away's for particular jobs, but ended up keeping them in a tool box for usage on the job.

Glad you enjoyed it. I know I did.
I started to write about my experiences as a machinist and HSS and tungsten carbide bits, but I needed to check some facts and I found this article and learned a few new things, myself. ;)
nb
On 10/28/2016 4:11 PM, notbob wrote:

then you of all people know that HSS is not as light duty as the lowes chart claims.
HSS can do interrupted cutting, for carbide you need a different grade.
there's nothing wrong with good HSS.
--
Jeff

I do. HSS is all you really need fer any wood or metal.
Usta grind my own HSS lathe bits (w/ chip breaker) to turn 1-1/2" thk X 18" dia SS Flanges. We only got into carbide bits much later. as they became more popular and available fer production machining. I was wondering about those "titanium" and "black oxide" drill bits and other weirdness I see at hardware chain stores in bubble paks. I didn't know they were merely titanium and blk oxide "coated" HSS. I don't recall seeing "HSS" on the bubble card, anywhere. ;)
nb
On 10/28/2016 1:02 PM, notbob wrote:

That was such BS. HSS for just aluminum, really ..
So most of the milling bits are HSS, I use HSS bits for steel all the time, I cut other HSS with them.
the Cobalt bits I have are for harder tough to cut metals.
The thing about carbide is you need to spin it at a much higher speed to work it.
--
Jeff